Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cursed with over aggressive female clown

Chardie3342

While trying to pair my ocellaris clownfish in my 10g, the female ended up killing the male :tears: I figured that it was a damsel problem and a different fish would be okay. However I recently got a small wrasse and my clown is already got him hiding under a rock in the corner and actively seeks him out to nip at him. What would be the best thing to do? Get rid of the clown? Or just accept that she is the only fish I can keep in my tank?

Deleted User 8

Put her in a breeder net or floating colander. While she is in this time out, add your other fish. Release her after a. Couple of weeks.

metrokat, what about taking her out and rescaping the tank and add her back with the new clown?

Buzz

metrokat, what about taking her out and rescaping the tank and add her back with the new clown?

Buzz

Breaking up the territory should help but it helps more if she's not there to claim it instantly as hers again.

Ours is in a temporary 10 gallon while building our 80. But I agree, long term the clowns will get too big. When adding our second clown, we removed the resident, rescaped and then introduced them at the same time. Ours were still gender neutral and the bigger one was new. They are well on their way to bonding now. There was some bickering, but nothing overly aggressive and the resident clown immediately started submitting.

Previously we had 2 clowns in a 20 and added a sixline. The female bullied it so bad, she chased it out of the tank.

Archived