ReefCleaners.org

Aqua Traders T5 Fixture?

TheTeenReefer

TheTeenReefer

So I'm starting to make plans for a 10 gallon reef, and this I'm interested in this T5 fixture.

http://www.aquatraders.com/20-inch-4x18W-T5-Aquarium-Light-Fixture-p/52302.htm

Some questions I have are:

1. What corals will I be able to keep?

2. Is this a decent fixture?

3. Would you recommend this fixture?

Any suggestions for different fixtures are greatly appreciated. Please note that I cannot afford to spend over $65.00 at the moment. I do not have any preferences between LED's, T5's, MH, or PC's, but I would like a bluish spectrum.

P.S. ( I will be getting a job in December as I am finally old enough, ? so my budget is flexible.)

Thanks in advance! ? -Devin

NorthGaHillbilly

Now this isn't gospel, but I would go with a 2 bulb 24" t5 over anything using 18". There are only one or two bulb manufacturers that make the short bulbs, and they all have very little output. Where as you would have many choices with 24" bulbs, and only two bulbs to buy.

I had the same fixture over a 10 gallon tank and I was able to keep anything I wanted. There are 3 bulb manufacturers for the 18" t5. Tru lumen, aquatic life, and if you can find them go with UV lighting. Premium aquatics used to be the only place that I knew of that sells the 18" UV lighting lamps. Overall the light wasn't a bad light. I put all tru lumen lamps in (3 blue and 1 white) and I was better than the stock lamps but still not the greatest. Have you thought about a par38? Not much more and will save you money right off the bat due to the crap bulbs the aqua traders light comes with.

TheTeenReefer

I had the same fixture over a 10 gallon tank and I was able to keep anything I wanted. There are 3 bulb manufacturers for the 18" t5. Tru lumen, aquatic life, and if you can find them go with UV lighting. Premium aquatics used to be the only place that I knew of that sells the 18" UV lighting lamps. Overall the light wasn't a bad light. I put all tru lumen lamps in (3 blue and 1 white) and I was better than the stock lamps but still not the greatest. Have you thought about a par38? Not much more and will save you money right off the bat due to the crap bulbs the aqua traders light comes with.

I'm getting a reefkoi par38 now. :)

Jackal_Knight

I ran the 24in version for about a year, the ballast are crap, but it got the job done. Right now I'm running a fish need it MH. I'd check out there site last I checked the had a 50% off deal so you could get a cheap T5 setup

If you are looking for a good cheap T5 fixture go hydroponic. I have a hydrofarm 2ft quad T5 which I got for $70. Has way better reflectors and ballast than the aquatraders crap.

jedimasterben

If you are looking for a good cheap T5 fixture go hydroponic. I have a hydrofarm 2ft quad T5 which I got for $70. Has way better reflectors and ballast than the aquatraders crap.

Probably not better ballasts - almost all 'hyrdoponic' or 'industrial' T5 ballasts I've seen are rapid start, which burn out bulbs very quickly.

Archived