Pod Your Reef

College 5.5 gallon reef

Tom_Ucf

Hey guys! This is my first post on Nano-Reef so I can't wait to hear some feedback. I'm looking into setting up a 5.5 gallon reef tank to have in my apartment. This tank is going to be lps dominant (Mainly hammer coral, torch coral, and fox coral). I ran a 75 gallon reef for a few years before my parents took it down after I left for school, but something this small is new to me. After countless hours of research and reading through various forums, I really can't figure out a proper way to set it up. I already want it to be bare bottom for easy cleaning, but what about all the other aspects? Flow from a powerhead or hob filter? What kind of lighting would be best to allow high coral fluorescence, but also promote good growth? Would a tailspot blenny be suitable for this tank? Is there anything I can do to maximize the overall health of the system? I'm sorry for all the questions, but there's so much I need to learn before attempting this... :unsure:

petkingdom619

You could do an aquaclear hob filter with a refugium built in. You probably won't be able to get to many LPs in a 5 gallon, but a few you can. Also go with an led setup if you can afford it.

I would personally go HOB filter converted to a refugium. I believe several others on here are using an AC70 on a similar tank. For lighting, I'd recommend LED personally. There are plenty of great options to chose from, and AI is coming out with their new light the AI prime in a few months and it's very affordable and comes with great features. I've been bouncing between a few for my next upgrade but keep going back to it. I personally wouldn't put a tail spot in a tank that size, but I haven't kept one personally so I don't know their behavior.

Thanks for the replies! I'll dig around and find that AC70 refugium build. I know I've looked at it before. The AI prime looks like a great light. Any idea if it comes with the mounting arm in the pictures?

zamboni200000

Unfortunately, it does not. The light itself will be selling for 200 and the mount is another 50. I'm grabbing one too, for the nuvo fusion 10 I'm starting up, looks like a great light!

Hahaha that's always the case. What are your opinions on T5 HO lighting for a tank this small? I remember seeing a few nanos on here running a Current USA 18" fixture, and their tanks looked beautiful.

You could always look into a par30 or 38 in the beginning. Many individuals use them on small tanks. You don't have the dimming capability unless you get the higher end coral compulsion 18k par38 bulb. I am in the process of getting supplies for my 6 gal nano. Planned on running an AC70 turned into a fuge and potentially a canister filter since I have it lying around until things stabilize

Dr.Brain Coral

I would go with a par 38 if I were you. Your coral selections are all fine. For a filter an AC70 like you mentioned is perfect

Archived