Top Shelf Aquatics

Cyano even with low import

heifinator

Just wanted to see if I can get some feedback.

Run a fairly low nutrient SPS tank and am having some bouts with cyano, its not super intense but its stringy brown / red and grows on rock and ends up blowing off and getting stuck to my sps, also grows in strings on sand bed, no big mats though.

Tank params

Sg 1.025

Temp 78-79

Calc 380

Alk 7.6 - 8.0

Mag - 1100-1200

ph 8.2 - 8.7

po4 / nitrate / nitrite: undetectable

80 gallons total volume

lighting is provided by 2 lumina 5.2 with ~80watts of additional cree leds for better spread, runs at a total of about 60% power. Runs 8hrs daily (30m ramp up on each end).

About 40-50lbs of live rock

Export is provided by weekly water changes (20gallons) with RODI (0TDS). Also run Phosban in a reactor at about 1tbsp per 15 gallons. Skimmer is a reefoctopus NWB110. Produces about 1 full cup weekly of fairly dark skimmate.

Feedings are light, about 1/2 cube mysis 4 times weekly, phytofeast (1 small squirt) weekly, and then new life spectrum pellets 3 times weekly (2 pinches).

6 total fish.

Not sure what the deal is, no other nutrient issues that I can see, SPS have good color, had a couple STN from base a little a few weeks back but I think that was unrelated.

Any ideas appreciated!

I had the same problem. All my parameters looked great but I had hair algae and cyano. I thought the hair algae was from phosphate leaching from the rocks. Not sure why I had cyano. My TDS meter on my RODI read 1, so I changed out all the filters and got all new filter socks. I also added some GFO to my carbon in my reactor. That cleared up the hair algae, but the cyano got worse. I finally had to use Chemiclean, which did the trick. The only problem is my skimmer is still going nuts after 2 weeks and a few water changes.

Just went through this not too long ago due to a auto-feeder dumping too many pellets while I was on vacation. Over many years, I have found that whenever I had a cyano bloom it was due to some type of major distrubance/change within the system.

The remedy for me has always been to keep all parameters (including nutrient inport/export) as steady as possible, remove as much as I can regularly (a form of nutrient export), keep the tank clear of excess detritus and just wait it out as the system restabilizes

Archived