ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I :wub: Jasper! I fell behind on your threads! YIKES!!!

Thanks, Stella - he's my best buddy! I'm glad you were able to catch up - sending you good vibes this week! :grouphug:

Here's a special "good vibes" bonus shot - by the light of the 4g pico :)

21690313229_cc2191cdd9_b.jpg20150923_202322.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those are awesome shots! And I think you'd have to be crazy to not love acan macros!

Thank you and I agree :D

I think it did. If you can get a shot of the LEDs when they're barely on I can tell for sure :)

I'm pretty sure there's lime stuff going on here :)

21255389864_d2a094d7c9_b.jpgNanobox Mini Tide V2 LEDs by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The V2 array did not have lime. The addition of the lime is what made V3.

Congrats on the dendro babies! Mine dendro eats like a pig, but has never shown any interest in making babies. Maybe some day...

And smiz you are right, you'd be crazy not to love acan macros!

I wish I could tell you what I did, but mine was like yours forever. Ate like a pig but no real growth. Now I've got this, almost overnight :)

21863801152_243f86594d_b.jpgDendro Babies by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is EXACTLY what I NEED!!!! :D

Thanks Gena! Someday when they fill up their little corner I will have to frag them :)

Ever since I trimmed the blue ric back with scissors, it's been growing back with interesting colors and shapes where it was trimmed. There's a pretty green color in the new growth - I wonder if it will stay like this or if it will go back to plain blue once it fully recovers?

21324387643_28b9dbb956_b.jpgRics by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jasper is very cute!

Thanks! He keeps me company when I'm working on tank maintenance. He loves the reflection of the lights on the carpet.

How about a puppy picture? This was almost three years ago :wub:

21798489009_3eccb26496_b.jpgJasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks! He keeps me company when I'm working on tank maintenance. He loves the reflection of the lights on the carpet.

How about a puppy picture? This was almost three years ago :wub:

21798489009_3eccb26496_b.jpgJasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So cute!

I never saw this tank until now! Absolutely beautiful, and amazing photography!!!!

Thanks! Still sending good vibes for your tank :)

OMG I need a Jasper puppy!!

Yeah, he was pretty irresistable :)

Beautiful!

Thanks! But...do you mean the tank or the puppy? :D

waves!!

your puppy is so cute!!

and i love the ricordeas as well as your growing

acans! so jealous. i bought another acan but am

leery--as the one i tried had died. so we'll see.

nothing really thriving in the tank but the shrooms. ha!

actually, frogspawn doing well too. :)

waves!!

your puppy is so cute!!

and i love the ricordeas as well as your growing

acans! so jealous. i bought another acan but am

leery--as the one i tried had died. so we'll see.

nothing really thriving in the tank but the shrooms. ha!

actually, frogspawn doing well too. :)

Thanks, Cindy! If your rics and frogspawn are doing well, I think your new acan should be fine fingerscrossed

I got a new favorite Nitrate test kit today :)

It's the new Nyos kit, and I really like it. Here's a highly subjective mini-review of all the nitrate test kits I've tried:

API: useful only if you want to know whether your level is above of below about 40 ppm.

Salifert: seems to work, but it uses a tiny sample size and all the colors look exactly the same to me when compared to the sample. To my eye, everything between 2ppm and 25 ppm seem equally likely.

Red Sea Pro: this was the first one I've had where I felt fairly confident that I was able to tell the sample color. The color wheel really helps. But you have to know ahead of time whether you are doing a low range or high range sample, and dilute the sample with RODI water if you want to do high range. So half the time I end up doing the test twice. And it uses a total of 32ml of tank water for each test, which is a little more than I want to take out of a 4g tank if I'm doing frequent tests. Finally, you have to do three different reagents and then wait nine minutes. So it's complicated and takes a long time.

Nyos: only two reagents, you only wait five minutes, and they have a great color comparison chart. Like the Red Sea Pro, they use a unchanged sample to compare with the test sample. They have a little holder that keeps the two bottles lined up over the chart. So it's really easy to tell the difference between each color level.

21992959140_91ca16d67d_b.jpgNitrate Test Scale by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So now I have a an easy to use and read nitrate test. The bad news is that my levels are between 12 and 25, probably close to 20. Judging from the algae that's been growing over the past few weeks, the test is accurate :(

Time for some extra water changes, and maybe some new carbon...

Just came across your thread (am fairly new to the forum) and, in a word, "Wow!" The current pic on post #1 of the thread is simply mind-blowing -- looks like a 40g, not a 4g. Absolutely gorgeous little tank. And a very informative thread... thanks for sharing your experiences -- very educational and inspirational to newbies like me. Will be following along with anticipation. Best of continued luck with it!

Just came across your thread (am fairly new to the forum) and, in a word, "Wow!" The current pic on post #1 of the thread is simply mind-blowing -- looks like a 40g, not a 4g. Absolutely gorgeous little tank. And a very informative thread... thanks for sharing your experiences -- very educational and inspirational to newbies like me. Will be following along with anticipation. Best of continued luck with it!

Thank you! Please don't be shy about asking questions, and let me know when you start a build thread so I can follow along :)

That test is better on the back, that's for sure, but I still use the salifert and keep this as a backup. I look through the side on the salifert just to make sure it's not too dark. I have gone through 3 salifert kits and only one of the cards had the correct red shading, the other two all looked the same.

That's a good point. Maybe I just have a bad or old color card in my Salifert kit. I think the Salifert is the easiest to use out of all of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Eek! It's been quite a while since I had time to get on NR for more than a minute or two at a time.

Things are going well with this tank, just steady growth for the most part. I still need to find something to put on the upper right side rock, since I removed the monticap. And I've realized that when the pump is working well, the water level gets really high - almost to the point of overflowing. I'm thinking about cutting some more slots in the return to improve the flow.

I've been asked to take some videos of this tank, so this weekend I'll be concentrating on getting everything cleaned up and learning how to take better video shots :unsure:

jedimasterben

The best video advice I can give is to take a TON of them from every angle you can think of and then weed through them for your favorite shots :)

The best video advice I can give is to take a TON of them from every angle you can think of and then weed through them for your favorite shots :)

Oh, so it's exactly like still photography! :lol:

The blue acan has been popping out new heads like crazy. I'm really happy because it's been my favorite acan as long as I've had it :wub:

22557900557_8fbbf909e0_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

GBG #1 came out to say "hi" :flower:

22962847002_f378d3480b_b.jpgGBG by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Edit: ewww, algae. Time to clean the glass!

Archived