Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave from NanoBox put your pictures up on FB! Tank looks great, man. I want my IM 10 to look like this something fierce.

I just saw that! It looks so good!

Thanks, guys! Just realized I never posted the new FTS, so here it is. And thanks, Dave, for featurig the pictures on your FB page :)

The idaho grape monti is really growing well. It's completely covered up the encrusting rainbow monti underneath. I think I may try breaking off a frag from the left hand side and just let it grow out to the right, so that the rainbow can get a little light.

18030965559_57f0e9fc7d_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 27 May 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's another angle:

17594572024_05d2fedf04_b.jpgA New Angle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Thanks, guys! Just realized I never posted the new FTS, so here it is. And thanks, Dave, for featurig the pictures on your FB page :)

The idaho grape monti is really growing well. It's completely covered up the encrusting rainbow monti underneath. I think I may try breaking off a frag from the left hand side and just let it grow out to the right, so that the rainbow can get a little light.

18030965559_57f0e9fc7d_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 27 May 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's another angle:

17594572024_05d2fedf04_b.jpgA New Angle by TeenyReef, on Flickr

These photos! OMG. That tank. It seriously makes me want to try a small pico.

These photos! OMG. That tank. It seriously makes me want to try a small pico.

You should! It can be tricky to keep things in balance because things can change in a hurry. But when you can do near 100% percent water changes in fifteen minutes you can make up for a lot of mistakes :)

You should! It can be tricky to keep things in balance because things can change in a hurry. But when you can do near 100% percent water changes in fifteen minutes you can make up for a lot of mistakes :)

I'm doing it! I have a little 6 gal Petco Arc that i just keep frags in, but I'm cutting myself off from buying more coral for a bit so I'm turning it into a little 6 gal pico! this one totally inspired me.

Simply awesome, and it keeps getting better. So many things to see in the FTS's :)

I agree! It's crazy, isn't it??

Awww, thanks, everyone! :blush: Maybe by the time this tank hits the two year mark I'll start to feel like I know what I'm doing :)

I'm doing it! I have a little 6 gal Petco Arc that i just keep frags in, but I'm cutting myself off from buying more coral for a bit so I'm turning it into a little 6 gal pico! this one totally inspired me.

Awesome! Let me know when you start a build thread so I can follow along omgomgomg

Man, I just love this tank. Such an awesome 'scape.

Seriously, your corals look like they're on steroids for color :)

+1

Thanks, everyone!

Well, today is a big day, at least for me. I need to pull out at least some of the rocks, check for vermetid snails, and clean out the sand bed and the back chambers. Then I'm going to break off some of the idaho grape monticap because it's completely shading the rainbow monti underneath. I'm also going to see if I can break off a little piece of the rainbow monti to fulfill a request for a frag from another reefer. Finally, I've got a another no-name zoa frag that needs to be glued on...I'm not sure where this one is going. I'm running out of room :happy:

I'm also going to check to see if the duncans are big enough to frag yet, and I'm thinking about trimming back some of the rics. Wish me luck!

I broke of about half of the grape monti where it was shading the corals underneath. It was physically easy but emotionally difficult :huh:

Here's a top down shot afterwards (cell phone):

17919951383_af8bc9b0c1_b.jpg4Gg CAD Lights Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's detail of the grape monti, rainbow monti, and red mille where they come together. You can really see how pale the rainbow got where it was directly beneath the grape, and you can also see where the red mille is pale due to the shading. I'm thinking about seeing if I can pop the rainbow monti off the rock and relocate it since it seems to be getting squeezed out between the other two corals.

17919954113_07a8ef5fb9_b.jpgMontipora by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Rescaping is a messy job!

18359544020_fe8e6809de_b.jpgRescape Mess by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I got a lot done tonight. I pulled the rocks and corals out, and drained all the water out including the back chambers. I stirred the sand up really well before draining all but about half an inch of water out. I left just enough water for the gobies, shrimp, and crab to swim around. I also cleaned the skimmer, changed the floss, and cleaned the back wall and back chambers.

- I moved the rainbow monti to the middle of the top rock after cutting off a couple very small frags. You can see the big white spot where it used to be. I lost another chunk of idaho grape monti in the process :( But it will grow back. And I now should have lots of idaho grape frags for sale in the near future :)

- I chickened out on trimming the rics. They're just too pretty...

- I did kill off the big red mushroom but yanking out chunks of it with long nose pliers, and dissolving the foot with boiling water. It was getting too big and starting to sting the red mille, and it was almost touching the green favia. There's another baby red mushroom growing nearby, so I won't lose out on the nice red accent color for long, though.

- I glued the yellow scroll coral back on after it fell off last week when I was getting the harlequin starfish out.

- Finally, I glued the new zoas onto the top rock, right in the middle of the picture.

Here's a top down shot after the rescape:

18547240225_ab978bbcc8_b.jpgRescape - Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

While the rics were receded, I noticed a brand new baby green ric :wub:

You can also see the purple sponge I got from Zia a while back. It started really small but it's about an inch across now. It's really interesting because it grows like a plating monti.

18520818586_ce8d5ac56e_b.jpgBaby Ric by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I also took a close look at the duncans while they were fully receded to see how big the skeleton is. As you can see, there are lots of heads, but the branches are still pretty short. I've never tried to frag duncans but I'm pretty sure the branches are still too short.

18547230365_a8115cd339_b.jpgDuncanops by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the changes get used to it.

Curious what are you settings on this little guy?

-Dave

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing the changes get used to it.

Curious what are you settings on this little guy?

-Dave

Right now, I'm running blues on 160 and whites on 80 (Storm controller). I think I could run a little higher but need to get everything stabilized after the latest reorganization before I try it. Still loving those Nanobox colors :wub:

this little thing is jam packed! can't wait to see a pic of the new scape when everything opens back up.

Thanks, Ninja! Definitely need to take some pics later today, with the "real" camera.

this little thing is jam packed! can't wait to see a pic of the new scape when everything opens back up.

+1

Archived