ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to start slow, and try dipping just one zoa rock that's small and fairly easy to get out. I think there's more going on with the zoas than just the amphipods, so doing the dip will help me see if there are immediate signs of improvement.

In the long run, I'll probably have to put some kind of small wrasse in there at least temporarily to cut down on the amphipods.

I pulled the smallest zoa rock out of the tank and gave it a five minute dip in the Reef Prime stuff. A couple good sized amphipods came off, along with a whole bunch of very small critters that I can't identify because they're so small. I took a few pics and I'll see if I can zoom in the see what they are.

Here's a macro shot of the bottom of the dip container. For scale, the amphipod in the upper right is about 1/4" long. I can't see anything that's an obvious pest besides amphipods and bristle worms, but I'm far from an expert.

Most of it just looks like detritus to me. :)

24924411206_a946aa0fc6_b.jpgPost Dip Stuff by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've seen no bad side effects from doing the dip last night. When I got home this evening, most of the zoas were open, but it's hard to say if they were improved. It will take a few days to see if it actually made any difference.

I've seen no bad side effects from doing the dip last night. When I got home this evening, most of the zoas were open, but it's hard to say if they were improved. It will take a few days to see if it actually made any difference.

Wishing you and your zoas the best!

Amphipods will self regulate when their nutrients are exhausted, but a predator might help.

Did they send the reef primer for free? I know they send the polyp booster and reef roids monthly but I have those products anyway and I was wondering if they send other products to try. Are you on their reef pro page?

Hey teeny, now that I turned one of my 5.5g feeder shrimp tank into an honest to goodness macro/softie display aquarium, I should probably read through your tank of the month write up to see how one really cares for a pico tank!

Do you ever worry about testing anything other than Alk, Mg, Ca?

Seems we are both getting a few SPS with harder to keep colors such as purple, blue.

Wishing you and your zoas the best!

Hey teeny, now that I turned one of my 5.5g feeder shrimp tank into an honest to goodness macro/softie display aquarium, I should probably read through your tank of the month write up to see how one really cares for a pico tank!

Thanks, Dawn! I can't say that the dip really made a dramatic difference but we'll see what happens after a few more days.

As far as how to care for a pico, I think the biggest thing is to watch the parameters. Things can change in a pico in big hurry. Even my 10g tank is far more stable.

Amphipods will self regulate when their nutrients are exhausted, but a predator might help.

Did they send the reef primer for free? I know they send the polyp booster and reef roids monthly but I have those products anyway and I was wondering if they send other products to try. Are you on their reef pro page?

Yeah, this tank is full of examples of overfeeding - vermetid snails, big amphipods, and bristleworms. It's a constant battle between keeping the corals fed and not feeding everybody else. I haven't been very successful so far :(

The reef primer was part of a Polyplabs giveaway that I won on aquaticlog.com. I will have to check out their reef pro page, though :)

Do you ever worry about testing anything other than Alk, Mg, Ca?

Seems we are both getting a few SPS with harder to keep colors such as purple, blue.

I also test nitrates and phosphates, of course, but nothing exotic. I do have the Reef Colors kit from Red Sea but those tests are a serious pain in the patootie to run, so I've only done them a couple times.

I do use Aquavitro Ions to dose my magnesium, which also has a few other trace elements in it. Other than that, I haven't worried much about it so far.

That's a great photo. My dendro is a piglet, but it seems to be a different type. You can't see into it.

Thanks! These are very small and have never really grown much, other than to start new heads. I expect that if they eventually get bigger they won't be see through any more :)

I'm a little late in getting my February FTS, but better late than never.

In the past, I've fallen into the temptation to not do an FTS when the tank isn't do as well as I'd like. But after going back through all my old FTS's, I really regretted not having those "not so good" shots, to help me remember what I've dealt with, and to compare with how much better it looks when it's doing well.

This month has been one of those months because I've been struggling with the zoas again. But I went ahead and took the picture, and I'm glad I did just so I can see how far it's come next month!

25025800041_c4ef6de3fc_b.jpg2016-02-18 Cadlights 4g FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So pretty :wub: angry zoas or no!

Thanks! When I look at my own tank I tend to focus on whatever I'm worried about at that time. Doing an FTS really helps me to step back and look at the tank as a whole.

What is that cyphastrea in the front? it has such a cool indigo base color.

Also, I hope you have a lid - I think your GSP is trying to escape! :lol:

It's a "Poppy Pickin" Cyphastrea, according the Pacific East Aquaculture where I got it :D

And yeah, I definitely have a lid, and it's a tight one. I lost several green banded gobies before I finally figured out they were jumping out of a 1/4" gap in the back.

Nice shot!

Thanks! I love taking pictures of the dendros, they're just such a different color from everything else in the tank. :)

I agree with Natalia, the tank looks so pretty and healthy even if the zoas are being disagreeable!

Thanks, Dawn! The zoas just drive me crazy because they seem to be the only corals that don't do well in this tank. But I'm very grateful that everything else is staying healthy :D

Zoas are annoying. I have my entire scrambled egg colony melt on me in one tank. Moved it over to another tank and the few polyps that managed to survive are opening a little. In that same tank, I had another zoa frag that was doing badly. Moved that frag to the tank the scrambled eggs were melting and now they are better than ever. I give up on them. Just gonna leave them alone and let nature take its course. At least with SPS, we generally know what we did wrong but zoas are just cranky fellows.

reefernanoman

Thanks! These are very small and have never really grown much, other than to start new heads. I expect that if they eventually get bigger they won't be see through any more :)

I'm a little late in getting my February FTS, but better late than never.

In the past, I've fallen into the temptation to not do an FTS when the tank isn't do as well as I'd like. But after going back through all my old FTS's, I really regretted not having those "not so good" shots, to help me remember what I've dealt with, and to compare with how much better it looks when it's doing well.

This month has been one of those months because I've been struggling with the zoas again. But I went ahead and took the picture, and I'm glad I did just so I can see how far it's come next month!

25025800041_c4ef6de3fc_b.jpg2016-02-18 Cadlights 4g FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I do take pictures when my tank is not doing well! BTW, your tank still looks very nice!

Zoas are annoying. I have my entire scrambled egg colony melt on me in one tank. Moved it over to another tank and the few polyps that managed to survive are opening a little. In that same tank, I had another zoa frag that was doing badly. Moved that frag to the tank the scrambled eggs were melting and now they are better than ever. I give up on them. Just gonna leave them alone and let nature take its course. At least with SPS, we generally know what we did wrong but zoas are just cranky fellows.

I know exactly how you feel! :furious: They are so mysterious, which of course makes them irresistibly challenging for me :)

I do take pictures when my tank is not doing well! BTW, your tank still looks very nice!

Thanks! I hope the zoas are doing better next time :)

Tonight, after the lights were out, Flash, the rust goby, made a rare appearance out where I could see him. I got the cell phone camera out verrrrry slowly and quietly, and took several pictures of him, each one a little closer than the last, until he noticed me and disappeared. So this isn't a great picture but for a fish that's normally pretty much completely invisible, I think it's pretty good :)

25068162282_5be7711bfe_b.jpgRust Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Hey teeny do you think green banded gobies would get along with a yasha goby in a 28 gal or do you think there would be issues with territory and what not?

Tonight, after the lights were out, Flash, the rust goby, made a rare appearance out where I could see him. I got the cell phone camera out verrrrry slowly and quietly, and took several pictures of him, each one a little closer than the last, until he noticed me and disappeared. So this isn't a great picture but for a fish that's normally pretty much completely invisible, I think it's pretty good :)

25068162282_5be7711bfe_b.jpgRust Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Gotta love those hiding fish :lol: I have one like that also and any time I can snap a pic......

Archived