Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Nice! I wish I had the equipment to take macro photos :(

maybe with the extra cash you get from selling parts of the new tank and some from your old you can get a nice camera.

Or find out where that head shield came off of from your car :lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I've noticed that some of the bigger zoa/palys just seem to like long stems. But I've definitely seem some of my zoas change the length of their stems based on the lighting. They don't seem to get shorter if they're already extended, they just start growing new polyps that stay short.

Well it appears to be working for you! And thanks, I'm really pleased with the new acros. I expect they will lose a little color at first because I'm still slowwwllly ramping up the lights and bringing down nitrates and phosphates. Nitrates are down around 5 which is a huge improvement, but phosphates are still up around .5 which is bad for most acros.

Daylight shot of the duncans. Since I've never fragged them before I wasn't sure what to expect. It looks like they are healing up around the cut area, though.

24386804619_db2be0c90e_b.jpgDuncans Healing by TeenyReef, on Flickr

:wub: Awesome shot! I love when natural sunlight hits the tank. Mine hits in late afternoon for about 20 minutes and I always think things look really pretty.

nice new frags from cultivated reef, Teeny! that blue is unreal!

That Sexy Shrimp makes the Duncans look tiny!

:lol:

Well, it is an "all grown up" sexy :D

But the other thing is that the heads are all partially retracted in the picture.

I forgot to post it, but a few weeks ago I saw both pom pom crabs out and about, and the egg sac was gone, so the eggs were released and the gobies must have enjoyed some tasty fish food. But I was starting to wonder if they were OK because I hadn't seen either one of them for at least the last week. But tonight I spotted the female, who is pregnant again :)

Note the GBG photobomber, Lincoln, on the right side.

24668385712_6b496025b6_b.jpgPregnant Pom Pom Crab by TeenyReef, on Flickr

New acros....

Thanks, Sk8n!

They are still doing well, no signs of obvious color loss or bleaching, and I can see PE :)

In other good news, I was one of the winners in the PolypLab contest on Aquaticlog! I will be getting a 4 oz. Reefroids, 100ml Polypbooster coral supplement, and Primer shot Coral Dip omgomgomg

Thanks, Sk8n!

They are still doing well, no signs of obvious color loss or bleaching, and I can see PE :)

In other good news, I was one of the winners in the PolypLab contest on Aquaticlog! I will be getting a 4 oz. Reefroids, 100ml Polypbooster coral supplement, and Primer shot Coral Dip omgomgomg

LUCKY!

LUCKY!

I agree! Before I started reefing, I never won anything. Not ever. But since I started participating in reef-related drawings, I've won the Pico Skimmer, an AI Hydra 26 (also from Aquaticlog), and now the Polyplabs stuff. :D

I agree! Before I started reefing, I never won anything. Not ever. But since I started participating in reef-related drawings, I've won the Pico Skimmer, an AI Hydra 26 (also from Aquaticlog), and now the Polyplabs stuff. :D

I need to start entering in drawings, :lol:

I need to start entering in drawings, :lol:

Kind of ironic when I read your sig :lol:

Awesome little tank you got going! Love how everything is just teaming in there!

Thanks! Just checked out your new pics, they look great!

Kind of ironic when I read your sig :lol:

Thanks! Just checked out your new pics, they look great!

you got me there :lol: I just haven't even thought about it, been too busy with school and other things to think about entering in reef drawings.

you got me there :lol: I just haven't even thought about it, been too busy with school and other things to think about entering in reef drawings.

That's OK, I don't mind if you don't enter :D

Very nice pico! Love the sexy shrimp.

I need to order a few more my male died and my poor female all alone now. Eventually i'm going to set up a tank just for them. I have a fluval ebi full of crystal shrimp. I was thinking would be neat to pick up another one and do the sexies in it and have them side by side.

back in the day I won a nice skimmer from eshopps which was good because I was in the process of setting up a 75gal macro tank at the time.

i still havent won anything and i have entered into many reef drawings....

Well, I guess you are one of the people I should thank! :D

I glued up a few frags of purple gorgonian that were in the 10g tank. They haven't really thrived in there because I didn't have any place to put them where there was enough light.

Here's one of them, along with the Oregon Tort. It's been a full week and both of the new acros still have color and haven't died. I consider that a major milestone. :)

In the background you can also see an encrusting grafted red and green monti that I got from Zia a long time ago. Like the gorgs, it wasn't getting enough light in the 10g, so most of the green faded away. There are just a few specks left, but I think it should really perk up in this new location.

24563124790_da0c80a3eb_b.jpgPurple Gorg and Oregon Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Updated picture of the electric miyagi tort.

24491002079_05e9c7b667_b.jpgElectric Miyagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The free goodies from Polyplabs arrived today! I put the reefroids on the back of the shelf since I'm still using up my existing container. I tried the polypbooster and it seemed to work as advertised, about five minutes after putting it in everything had lots of polyps open. It's hard to say if it was a stronger response than just putting in reefroids and waiting five minutes, although it seemed like it to me. Possible placebo effect. :)

I also tried the Reef Primer, which is a new potassium-based dip they came out with last year. It's billed to be very gentle on all kinds of corals, works in five minutes, and they claim it takes care of everything including STN and RTN. Hmmm. I tried it on a few corals from the frag tank and my 10g tank that were doing poorly, some suffering from STN. They didn't die instantly - so far so good! These corals were on their last legs so if they recover I will be truly impressed. I also tried two zoa frags that haven't been doing well, although they weren't dying. I'll report back after a few days.

So far so good for the Reef Primer dip. The zoas from the frag tank that I dipped are more open today and seem much happier. None of the frag tank SPS that I dipped have gotten any worse, which is a good sign since they were starting to STN. Fingers crossed!

In other news, I've been thinking about the zoa situation in this tank. I definitely have a problem with the big amphipods, as Nano Sapiens pointed out. I've seen about a dozen of them cruising around at night. And I still sometimes see a few white spots as well as some brown fungus looking stuff on the zoas, all of which makes me think I should try dipping. I have been very hesitant to do this because it would mean basically pulling out every rock and dipping all of them, and then if I really want to get rid of the amphipods, I'd have to pull out the sand and all the water too, and put in new amphipod-free sand.

So it would be a big job, even for a 4g tank. It would kill some beneficial invertebrates in the rocks, too. And there's no guarantee it would get every single pod, so there's a chance they would come back anyway. And by dipping all the rocks and replacing the sand, I might trigger a mini cycle and kill more stuff.

So I'm still thinking about it. Maybe if I just dip one rock at a time it will reduce the amphipod population enough, and also take care of whatever other diseases and pests are bothering the zoas.

If you want to get rid of all your pods, pull out the crustaceans you want to keep like those cute pom poms and then dose interceptor.

Hmmmm, that's an interesting idea. Time to do some research!

Could you potentially transfer your pink streaked wrasse from the 10g?

Fitzgerald would likely take care of them in no time.

It's a really small tank for him, and I'm not sure how I'd get him out of the 10g tank. :)

But it's a good idea and I'll have to think about it!

Archived