SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been running the Pico Skim 2.0 for a couple weeks now, and I'm really happy with it. It's small, silent, and doesn't detract too much from the clean look of the tank. I got a Whisper 10 air pump for it, which turns is just barely enough to run the skimmer. I ordered a new air pump which should come in tomorrow which should allow for a little more control of the skimmer height.

Right now it pulls a tea colored skimmate, which is consistent with what other have reported for both this skimmer and the Mame skimmer. When I get the bigger air pump I'll see if it can be adjusted for a more dry skim.

Thanks, Dave! I need to bump up the intensity of the light a little bit now that the corals have had a couple weeks to adjust. Some of the Zoas and Palys are stretching up to the light. Just need to get the new display module from Ben at Coralux. It's in the mail now :)

awesome! i think those duncans are my fav in this tank.

Thanks! I love the duncans. I'm hoping that they will color up better under the Nanobox. When I first got them they were a beautiful dark blue/green on the inside, but under my old light I think they got a little too much light and turned a more pale green. They've been growing great and have sprouted two new heads, but I'd love to see the darker colors return.

Your tank is looking awesome!

Thanks! I think it's finally getting to the fine tuning and grow out stage. I'm already starting to think about which corals to move over to the 10g IM Fusion and which ones to start fragging. The GSP in particular is starting to get a little too big even though I've got it quarantined in the middle of the sand.

I cam home from the long Thanksgiving weekend to find the Favia upside down in the sand and the Bam Bam zoas knocked off their rock (guess I didn't glue the frag plug well enough). Thanks snails...

Everybody was fine after being put back in place, and the Favia even ate a mysis shrimp to show there were no hard feelings.

I fed all the corals and Flash, the Rusty Goby, did a quick 1.5g water change, redid the 2-part and Magnesium doses, and refilled the almost empty ATO container. I leave in the morning for a five day work trip, so hopefully the ATO container will last until I get back. I really need to get a bigger one, as the current one is only two quarts.

Fingers crossed for a stable tank for the next five days!

reefernanoman
I cam home from the long Thanksgiving weekend to find the Favia upside down in the sand and the Bam Bam zoas knocked off their rock (guess I didn't glue the frag plug well enough). Thanks snails...

Everybody was fine after being put back in place, and the Favia even ate a mysis shrimp to show there were no hard feelings.

I fed all the corals and Flash, the Rusty Goby, did a quick 1.5g water change, redid the 2-part and Magnesium doses, and refilled the almost empty ATO container. I leave in the morning for a five day work trip, so hopefully the ATO container will last until I get back. I really need to get a bigger one, as the current one is only two quarts.

Fingers crossed for a stable tank for the next five days!

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm wondering what everybody thinks: would it be weird to ask my wife to send daily pictures while I'm gone?

er. send daily fotos of your tank? to you? no.

ha!

and good luck!! glad the corals were okay despite

minor mishaps. i'm always nervous going away too.

Thanks!

I'm wondering what everybody thinks: would it be weird to ask my wife to send daily pictures while I'm gone?

I wouldn't think that's weird! My mom sends me pics when she watches my cat!

It's good to know that if I'm weird, we're all weird together. My kids already claim I love my fish and corals more than them :)

And yes, I meant "pictures of the tank"...that could have gone so wrong :P

reefernanoman

It's good to know that if I'm weird, we're all weird together. My kids already claim I love my fish and corals more than them :)

LOL. Good one. Why not? it would give you peace of mind.

being married for almost two decades, i thought the

daily foto request of wife was a bit odd.

of tank? TOTALLY REASONABLE.

:lol:

TOTALLY REASONABLE!

I'm starting to seriously consider setting up a web cam for the next time I go on travel. Now that I've moved the tank to the desk in my study, I spend hours every day looking at it. I'm going through withdrawal :(

reefernanoman
TOTALLY REASONABLE!

I'm starting to seriously consider setting up a web cam for the next time I go on travel. Now that I've moved the tank to the desk in my study, I spend hours every day looking at it. I'm going through withdrawal :(

Oh no, the dreaded tank withdrawal. I can never go more than an hour without looking or tinkering with my tanks most days.

:lol: hilarious.

Same here...celebrated 19 years this month. It would be weird if my husband requested a daily photo while he was away LOLOLOL.

:lol: hilarious.

Same here...celebrated 19 years this month. It would be weird if my husband requested a daily photo while he was away LOLOLOL.

Congratulations! we're looking forward to 25 next summer. We'll have to come up with something special to do. Something that doesn't involve leaving the fish tanks :)

Congratulations! we're looking forward to 25 next summer. We'll have to come up with something special to do. Something that doesn't involve leaving the fish tanks :)

Oops...we celebrated last month, Nov. 25th. Kinda forgot we're in December now LOL.

25...awesome!!!!!! So, you're in your 40s too? No wonder I like you LOL.

reefernanoman

I have been together with my wife for only 10 years, so we are rookies compared to ya'll. Congrats.

Oops...we celebrated last month, Nov. 25th. Kinda forgot we're in December now LOL.

25...awesome!!!!!! So, you're in your 40s too? No wonder I like you LOL.

Thanks! But like Sk8nReefer, I'm just on the wrong side of 50 now. Which is the new 40, btw :D But I'd probably die if I tried to ride a board now.

I have been together with my wife for only 10 years, so we are rookies compared to ya'll. Congrats.

10 years is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!

Lots of work planned for this weekend. There's new stuff coming for my 10g Fusion, which means new old stuff for this tank. I'm especially looking forward to getting this tank set up on the Apex controller so I don't crawl under the desk every time I want to turn off the ATO or the return pump.

I've also got a new tripod for the camera, which means I can finally try to take some pictures with better exposure. Hopefully I can get a decent December FTS this weekend.

Finally, I'm thinking about transferring a coral or two to the 10g Fusion as guinea pigs to see how the new tank is doing. I may frag the GSP in half since it's getting to big, and maybe move the red acans that are next to the GSP. That should leave a little more room for growth on the front sandbed.

Archived