Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Do you mean this guy?

15755097534_74cd9e743e_b.jpgYellow Scroll Coral by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It's a Yellow Scroll Coral (Turbinaria). It grows very slow in my tank, and actually receded slowly the for about the first four months I had it. I finally got it in a spot with the right light and flow, and it's been growing slowly but steadily ever since. I really like it - you can't find too many true yellow corals so it makes for a nice contrast.

Yeah, and even when you look at them at the LFS, they usually display with only blue lights so it's hard to tell what they are going to look like at home :)

yeah thats the one! Zoomed in i can tell its a scroll now. Very cool coloration on that piece, ill send my positive vibes out for the growth on that one :lol:

And thats also very true, Ive had luck with bringing some home to find out they develop even more rad colors under my lighting and also many disappointments lol

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, that sucks about Emerald :( I'm wondering if I was spoiled by Ginger for the brief time she was in the 10. I want to turn it into a goby den, but escapees to the back chamber would be annoying, & I'm not a DIY person for fixes :lol:

I love your yellow scroll! I don't think my green one likes the 10 very much and can't really find a good spot for it flow-wise. It may have to go into the 20.

Thanks, everyone! She led a short but adventurous life and didn't leave anything on the table. Except her little fishstick body :(

I'm please to report that this tank has now gone over 24 hours without any fish leaving the tank. To celebrate, I'm posting pictures of corals :)

This mushroom came from a tiny shred of red mushroom flesh that floated away during Operation Red Mushroomicide. The red mushrooms I had weren't all that attractive and they were multiplying like crazy and melting their neighbors, so they had to go. I used boiling water from a pipette during a water change and got most of them, although they are coming back now. This guy grew up in a very dark corner under a rock, and now comes up to see the light when he feels like it. I guess because he grows in the dark, he has these really pretty blue spots that the parent mushrooms never had.

15757078353_3e9dfc9ff8_b.jpgRed Mushroom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

These are some exotic designer zoas from KP Aquatics. You can tell they are high end designer zoas by the special name, "Blue Zoas", and the price (a little less than $1 PP). :D The KPA site has pictures taken under natural light, so they look kinda drab on their site. But I think they have colored up nicely under the Nanobox blue lights :)

16350845966_eeacaca717_b.jpgKPA Blue Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I have some of those KPA fancy-pants zoas. Love them. :wub:

Thanks, Gena! It's been an exciting year. I need to post an updated picture of the Idaho Grape frag you sent me. After I broke it in half, I was really worried it might not do OK, cause each piece was less than an inch across. I kept the little piece in this tank, and it's gone from about 1/2" to about 1 1/2". But the other piece is in the 10g tank and it's well over 2" across already, with a nice cup shape starting :)

I have tiny pieces on the sandbed, talking fingernail sized, that are still purple and growing LOL. These are the pieces that drop off when I do my fragging. I just leave them alone. Sometimes the urchin likes to pick them up :).

So happy to hear the cap is doing so well for you!!!!! I love how the grape does the cupping. So cool when it does that. Mine is having a huge growth spurt right now.

Oh and sorry about Emerald :(.

happy birthday to your beautiful tank, john!

and i'm sorry about emerald. that is always so hard. *hugs*

i have glass and a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap

plus a corner triangle maybe one inch wide.

my green clown goby leapt out somehow.

now i've got plastic mesh cut to a little wider

than size of top, and i clip the glass right over the mesh.

working so far. not perfectly great looking, but not

a complete eyesore either.

keeps my ycg safe.

Seriously John, your small tanks are amazing! This is one of my favorites.

-Dave

Thanks, Dave! :blush:

Aww, that sucks about Emerald :( I'm wondering if I was spoiled by Ginger for the brief time she was in the 10. I want to turn it into a goby den, but escapees to the back chamber would be annoying, & I'm not a DIY person for fixes :lol:

I love your yellow scroll! I don't think my green one likes the 10 very much and can't really find a good spot for it flow-wise. It may have to go into the 20.

Thanks - I think small gobies like mine would be risky in the IM10. The slots in the overflow in that tank are twice as wide as this tank. They'd be hanging out in the back chamber all the time for sure :)

I need to check out your green scroll!

I have some of those KPA fancy-pants zoas. Love them. :wub:

I don't think I've ever gotten anything from KPA that didn't turn out really nice :)

I have tiny pieces on the sandbed, talking fingernail sized, that are still purple and growing LOL. These are the pieces that drop off when I do my fragging. I just leave them alone. Sometimes the urchin likes to pick them up :).

So happy to hear the cap is doing so well for you!!!!! I love how the grape does the cupping. So cool when it does that. Mine is having a huge growth spurt right now.

Oh and sorry about Emerald :(.

I just ended up with a couple of those fingernail sized pieces on the sandbed too, after it got bumped somehow when I was adjusting the rocks. I'll post a picture of the bigger one in my 10g thread. Both that one and the one in this tank area starting to cup :)

happy birthday to your beautiful tank, john!

and i'm sorry about emerald. that is always so hard. *hugs*

i have glass and a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap

plus a corner triangle maybe one inch wide.

my green clown goby leapt out somehow.

now i've got plastic mesh cut to a little wider

than size of top, and i clip the glass right over the mesh.

working so far. not perfectly great looking, but not

a complete eyesore either.

keeps my ycg safe.

Thanks, Cindy! This is the second GBG that's jumped out of the tank, so I put together a custom screen cover. I used a kit from the hardware store and some black tulle fabric. Bottom side, after putting it together:

15770721634_4c746ab710_b.jpgTulle screen - back side by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I still need to paint it black, but it fits nice and tight:

16391435941_f42fc91951_b.jpgTulle screen - installed by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tanks looking great - those FTS are very nice! How's that SPS doing?

Thanks! SPS are doing great :D The montis are finally starting to encrust and/or plate, and the birdsnest/stylo has great PE and has been growing. The red mille has been spreading all over but hasn't decided to branch any at all, though. Hopefully it'll get going soon. Here's a picture of it, along with the green monti. You can also see Gena's little Idaho Grape monti in the back, along with a photobombing sexy shrimp :)

https://flic.kr/p/qYsW3a'>16391540901_11ed4d5cbd_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qYsW3a'>Red Millepora by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

it looks great! i like the glass because it

helps with evaporation. but i like the look

of your designed one. very nice.

Thanks, Cindy! Since I have an ATO I don't worry about evaporation, and I like the idea of improving gas exchange at the surface of the water. The cover I had on when Emerald jumped out was glass, but there was a gap of about 3/8" all around it.

Nice job on the cover teeny. I made a cover the same way for the bow front, just the rectangular part. It has the original glass top part over the bowed portion of the tank. Like you I like the idea of gasses escaping and I have an ATO as well.

Great cover! I use a piece of acrylic to cut down on evap too since no ATO, but that tulle and screen looks very slick. Maybe if I was more handy and felt like an ATO :lol:

My green scroll is either getting the snip snip since it's shading my blastos now that I moved it into a slightly better flow spot on its rock. Or it'll go in the 20, but probably the snip snip.

That cover looks professionally done teeny, nice job. B)

Thanks! Other than cutting the frame to length it was an easy job. Kind of like a crafting project. And for $4 I have enough tulle fabric to make about 100 more of them :D

Nice job on the cover teeny. I made a cover the same way for the bow front, just the rectangular part. It has the original glass top part over the bowed portion of the tank. Like you I like the idea of gasses escaping and I have an ATO as well.

Thanks! I was planning to paint it black, but the shiny aluminum reflects the light so well that I think it's actually is less visible than if it was black. So I may leave it as is. :P

Dang- that mille is spreading ! Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Do yours spread like that before they branch? I keep waiting for it to do something other than encrust more rock...

Great cover! I use a piece of acrylic to cut down on evap too since no ATO, but that tulle and screen looks very slick. Maybe if I was more handy and felt like an ATO :lol:

My green scroll is either getting the snip snip since it's shading my blastos now that I moved it into a slightly better flow spot on its rock. Or it'll go in the 20, but probably the snip snip.

Thanks! Your green scroll is huge! I can see why you're thinking about cutting it back. At the rate my yellow scroll grows, it will be that big in about 10 years :)

Most start branching- but I think that piece looks cool like that- you can tell those offshoots on the right will start branching I bet?

reefernanoman

So I just realized that today is the one year birthday for this tank! omgomgomg

Well, technically not, since I changed from one 4g tank to another a few months ago. But since the entire contents of the tank went unchanged, all I really did was change the container. All the rocks, sand, and even most of the water came over from the original tank. So as far as I'm concerned it's one year old today :)

So I took all couple FTS shots as a present to my tank :wub:

FTS with light:

16351844535_5ba31a4a24_b.jpgCADLights 4G FTS w/light - 01/23/2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

FTS with all three fish and all three sexy shrimp! How does that happen? Rock Star II is in his rightful place, center stage, with Emerald hanging out off stage on the left.

16350104931_10c5ba0b64_b.jpgCADLights 4G FTS - 01/23/2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

You probably can't tell that Flash is actually in the FTS, but he's hanging out upside down under the rock right under the stylophora (or birdsnest). Here's a cropped version with the exposure and shadow protection adjusted:

15731898353_60baf667a7_b.jpgFlash is here too by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I'm amazed at how beautiful your tank looks teeny! Excellent work!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Skimmer working well?

Maybe you can help me figure out why the hell i keep getting extremely out of control green hair algae all over the sump, is it light related or maybe nutrient related?

Also, what are your storm settings for white and blue?

Teeny, gimme a heads up on how you are running your skimmer in the second chamber, bro. Do you got it hanging from the top of the 1st chamber wall or attached to the inside of the 2nd chamber via the lower, 3rd chamber wall? I'm thinking you have it on the 1st wall because having it on the 3rd one might interrupt the flow going over the wall and into chamber 3 with the return pump but I wanted to be sure.

That screen looks fantastic :) I should make one of those too. Was it a window screen kit that you used?

Nice topper! I like the brushed metal..I think mine's ugly brown :lol:.

Finally got to see the screen (cause pics are blocked at work) and it does look amazing!!

Thanks, everyone - I made it from a window screen kit and black tulle fabric. The more I look at it, the more I like the brushed aluminum look :)

Most start branching- but I think that piece looks cool like that- you can tell those offshoots on the right will start branching I bet

Yeah, I keep thinking the offshoots will branch but they haven't done it yet. I've gotta have patience...it's not the most amazing color in the world, but I'd at least like it to do more than encrust :)

I'm amazed at how beautiful your tank looks teeny! Excellent work!

Skimmer working well?

Maybe you can help me figure out why the hell i keep getting extremely out of control green hair algae all over the sump, is it light related or maybe nutrient related?

Also, what are your storm settings for white and blue?

I love the skimmer. I get a consistent dark tea skimmate.

I wish I had the magic answer about GHA in the sump. If I did I wouldn't have to scrape algae every week in my 90g freshwater tank :D

All I can tell you is it's probably a combination of light and nutrients, since those are the two things GHA needs. Unfortunately that's the same thing macro algae needs :unsure: The only fixes I know of are manual removal, peroxide dips for the rocks, and bringing in critters to eat it like crabs and snails. But you probably already know all that.

I've got the Storm Controller set at 190 blues and 80 whites. I can't remember for sure, but I may have had the whites a little higher in the FTS picture. Maybe 180/100.

Teeny, gimme a heads up on how you are running your skimmer in the second chamber, bro. Do you got it hanging from the top of the 1st chamber wall or attached to the inside of the 2nd chamber via the lower, 3rd chamber wall? I'm thinking you have it on the 1st wall because having it on the 3rd one might interrupt the flow going over the wall and into chamber 3 with the return pump but I wanted to be sure.

It's hanging on the top of the first chamber wall. You're right, the third chamber wall would be too low. The screw that holds the tube in the frame sticks out just a little bit into the display area. There's a pretty good view of it in the picture up above of the screen cover on the tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Oh i see, I may have to try out the skimmer, but the point of this tank was to keep it low key, and low maintenance... it doesn't come into the display, only in the back chambers...

Should i drop a crab or snail back in there??

Also, that seems to be the ratio... I set mine to 140/225... or about that anyways...

Archived