Innovative Marine Aquariums

Crazy Pistol Shrimp Problem

srpntmage

I have a 29 Biocube with an InTank Media basket, removed lid with a screen top.

I got a pistol and watchman goby combo last week. They found each other and have made a nice burrow under a rock in the front of my tank. The shrimp is pretty tiny, maybe 1 inch long by 1/4 wide, candy cane colored.

This morning I wake up and just happen to check the filter floss in the top section of the media rack. Inside was my pistol shrimp, chilling on top of the filter floss. I have no idea how he could have gotten all the way up the first chamber wall, and over the overflow. I didn't realize they were that agile. I am assuming he squeezed through the first chambers grating near the bottom.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop him from doing this again? Is he maybe hungry and searching for food? I didn't think pistols were nocturnal.

Deleted User 8

They are absolutely that agile. Next time he may end up on the floor. It was probably on the floss looking for food.

Maybe put some gutter guard onto the overflow?

Buzz

A few months back my pistol made it all the way into the return pump area of my IM Nuvo8... which meant he made it through all the levels of my inTank mediabasket, up through the chamber stuffed with Chaeto, and then into the return pump chamber. He only did it the one time in the 9 months I've had him. I don't know what possessed him to do that. He normally doesn't stray too far from his burrow. He definitely is busy at night though. I've woken up to find frags rearranged in the tank. And I hear his snapping more often at night.

I'm hoping mine learned a lesson from his little adventure, but I don't trust that he did. He is so tiny, I need something with pretty small holes that he can't squeeze through.

Archived