Cultivated Reef

weird brown algae

Angeljr8282

Looks like dinoflagellates. Not good and will kill your corals. Do some research. I don't have any personal experience, but there are plenty of treatments.

Uh, no. Just take a deep breath, and think this through. There are far worse algae to deal with than this. Take a look at this:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-i-beat-dinoflagellates-and-the-lessons-i-learned

Some of the steps involve running only actinics, but with some lighting setups, that's not always possible. Opposed to just running actinics, you could run a severely reduced photoperiod, say 4 hours, if you can't run actinics (or just blue LEDs if that's what you have).

I'm running 10k white leds and blue leds they're on separate switches so I could run either/or I noticed every morning when the lights come on there no algae..the tank looks nice and clean it takes about 3-4 hours to I start seeing this stuff coming out start off like this long stringing brown algae on the glass and corals..but once I cut the lights it just disappears

Read the article and follow the steps. Go lights out 72 hours. Large water change. Then only blue for a week. You can beat it man! Don't give up.

Archived