Cultivated Reef

Anemones under the Mini Tide

xmai77

I've had a Mini Tide running in my system for almost 8 months now. I added a green bubble-tip anemone a few months ago. It looked great for the first couple of weeks, it tucked itself into a crack in the rocks during the night but would puff up real nice during the day. Sadly, it got thinner and thinner and eventually came out of the crack to move as high up on the rock-work as possible. It lost its bubbles and got a bit long and stringy but otherwise seemed healthy.

It's been sitting at the top of the rocks, about 4"-5" from the surface of the water, for a few months now (I would guess 5 months) and hasn't changed much since then. Both channels on the light are set to 255 and the photo-period is from 4 PM to 11 PM, when I'm actually home to enjoy it.

I left the light on manual a couple of days ago so it was blasting away at full power for a solid 24+ hours. I only realized that last night. The anemone looked GREAT and it almost looked ready to bubble up again. Everything else in the tank looked phenomenal as well. The only problem was that the glass was covered in a thin film, the algae probably had a feast.

TL;DR - Left lights on for 24+ hours by accident, my long and stringy bubble-tip anemone ended up looking great and starting to bubble up again.

I'm not sure what I'm getting at, I guess my questions and points for discussion are...

Do you have anemones under your Mini Tide?

Are they thriving?

What's your photo-period and what are the channels on the Tide set to?

Do you have algae problems due to too much light?

How do you deal with the algae?

I can't decide whether I want to bump up my photo-period to maybe 12 hours or something and deal with the algae growth or if I should just leave it as it is...

You should not have to run the unit at full blast by any means. I feel that something else is causing the anemone to act funny.

Currently I have a Mini Tide over a 24x14x14 tank. I have SPS, anemones, LPS, etc all over without any issues and then light is only running 200 blue and 130 white.

Do you have any filtration? How are you exporting water? Flow? ETC

-Dave

You should not have to run the unit at full blast by any means. I feel that something else is causing the anemone to act funny.

Currently I have a Mini Tide over a 24x14x14 tank. I have SPS, anemones, LPS, etc all over without any issues and then light is only running 200 blue and 130 white.

Do you have any filtration? How are you exporting water? Flow? ETC

-Dave

The thing is, after leaving the light on for 24+ hours, the bubble-tip anemone reacted VERY positively. That's what is leading me to believe there's something wrong with the light cycle. In the past 5 or so months, the bubble-tip anemone hasn't looked nearly as good as it did yesterday...and the only thing that changed was the extended photo-period.

In terms of filtration, I have in the following order starting from what the water goes through first:

-filter floss first

-followed by a ball of chaeto and another macro algae (I forget the name but it's supposed to consume phosphates)

-a Tunze 9002 protein skimmer that generates tea-coloured waste

-a small bag of GFO and activated carbon

The filter floss is changed every 4-5 days, the skimmer cup is cleaned out every couple of weeks, the GFO/carbon is replaced monthly.

One more piece of info, the tank is an 18 gallon cube that's 16" (I think) in every dimension. That shouldn't be too relevant since the anemone made it's way up the rocks and is less than a foot from the light.

Just curious, but do you feed the anemone at all?

I haven't fed it recently. I did feed it mysis/brine every couple of days for a little while but I didn't notice any changes. I stopped doing it and didn't notice anything bad so now I probably just feed it a couple of times a month.

Just curious, but do you feed the anemone at all?

My guess as well. I'm thinking if your not feeding it, it's moving closer to the light to get some nourishment. I'd feed it every other week or so.

I haven't fed it recently. I did feed it mysis/brine every couple of days for a little while but I didn't notice any changes. I stopped doing it and didn't notice anything bad so now I probably just feed it a couple of times a month.

Huh. Have you tried feeding it something meatier? A piece of krill, or shrimp, or scallop, or silverside, for example? The point of extending towards the light is to get the algae in its flesh to create more sustenance, so I'd imagine a positive reaction to excess of light means a, that it didn't have nearly the amount of algae inside that it should to create a decent amount of food, otherwise it would've bleached in response, and b, it felt the need for that much more energy.

Huh. Have you tried feeding it something meatier? A piece of krill, or shrimp, or scallop, or silverside, for example? The point of extending towards the light is to get the algae in its flesh to create more sustenance, so I'd imagine a positive reaction to excess of light means a, that it didn't have nearly the amount of algae inside that it should to create a decent amount of food, otherwise it would've bleached in response, and b, it felt the need for that much more energy.

I'll pick up some meatier food and start feeding it more regular. Thanks for the suggestions!

• 1 month later...

My guess as well. I'm thinking if your not feeding it, it's moving closer to the light to get some nourishment. I'd feed it every other week or so.

I experiencing something similar as my Rainbow and RBTA moved to the highest point in the tank and the foot is stretching real bad (2") though I'm running the mini for 10hrs.

BTW they still have the vibrant color.

I experiencing something similar as my Rainbow and RBTA moved to the highest point in the tank and the foot is stretching real bad (2") though I'm running the mini for 10hrs.

BTW they still have the vibrant color.

What are your settings?

-Dave

What are your settings?

-Dave

Dave,

Is the mini so adapters / controllers, straight 10-12 hrs, I will be taking some pics later this week as this pico is in my office.

Personally I think they look fine! The foots are under the rock making them extend more than normal.

-Dave

Dave,

They're healthier than me,lol.I was just concern on the foot extend part, I need to take better pics to show the white strikes around the mouth on the Rainbow ones :wub:

Dave,

They're healthier than me,lol.I was just concern on the foot extend part, I need to take better pics to show the white strikes around the mouth on the Rainbow ones :wub:

Please do! I would love to showcase your tank on FB and Instagram.

-Dave

Archived