November 2014 FTS

IMG_20141111_142731223_HDR.jpg

Equipment

• Cad Lights 7G Zen
  • Sump - using 4G Cad Lights AIO
  • MAME Overflow
  • Return Pump - Tunze 1073.2
  • Vortech MP10
  • Nano Box Mini Tide + Storm Upgrade (ordered!)
  • AutoAqua Smart ATO
  • Eheim 50watt Heater

Fish

• Ocellaris Clownfish
  • Yellow Watchman Goby

Inverts

• Randalli Pistol
  • Porcelain Anemone Crab
  • Lots of snails (thanks Reef Cleaners!)

Coral

• Purple Euphyllia cristata
  • Frogspawn
  • Zoas
  • Ricordias
  • GSP
  • Branching Montipora
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Short Tentacle Plate Coral
  • Green Hairy Mushroom
  • Green Torch
  • Gold Torch
  • Favia
  • Blastos
  • Hammer
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like what I read here lol. I've got the same tank,then downgraded to a TruAqua 2 gallon while I re-prepare the 7 gallon hahaha.

I don't see why you couldn't us a AC50 for filtration and not have to sump it. Especially if you're wanting to keep LPS & softies.

I've gone back and forth over the past week regarding what filtration I want to use. I like the idea of hiding all my equipment, so as of right now I'm leaning towards sump. Buuuut... we'll see lol

Tank is here! The mame, mp10, and pump should be here tomorrow. I'm picking up a stand tomorrow and stopping by Lowe's for some supplies for transforming my 4gal into a sump. If all goes well, I will be setting everything up tomorrow night.

I will most likely wait another week to order the nano box, just to spread the cost out and make myself feel better. Having said that, it's currently added to my cart and ready for checkout in another tab... so we'll see lol.

IMG_20141023_184104026.jpg

IMG_20141024_201302181.jpg

:D

Only problem is it really blows my sand around, even with the pump turned all the way down. I'll Have to figure out a way to point the outlet up more. Any suggestions??

As soon as the water clears up ill finish the rest!

Well... water is approximately 0% better this morning. I put some filter floss over the end of the outlet early this morning, but doesn't seem to be helping. So impatient.

Transfer is complete! Using the 4gal Cad Lights tank as a sump is going to work out pretty well I think. Everyone is mighty pissed off tonight, so I'll hold off till tomorrow for any pics. As it sits now, my branching montipora is in direct path of the flow from the MAME... so we'll see if I have to move things around. I like my current scape though, so hopefully not.

I can't wait for my nano box to get here!

IMG_20141026_194813781_HDR.jpg

Water's still a little cloudy. Everything's still closed up. So heres a corner shot, just until everything settles in. I'm still playing with the mp10 placement and the mame. I probably don't even need the mp10 with all the flow created from the mame, but I paid a lot for it so I'm using it! Hopefully all my corals snap out of it over the next couple of days. :mellow:

Well... only my GSP has opened up so far. Everything else is still unhappy - starting to worry me a bit. AND one of my clowns jumped last night. So that's 2 fish in 2 nights. I really don't want to put any sort of lid on, so no more fish till my tank gets settled in I guess. AANNDD I found my pistol shrimp in my sump this morning. He was alive and hopefully will stay that way, but still. :blink: So he somehow slipped through the mame. This transfer has not gone well...

Question: If I have the mp10 in reef crest mode on the lowest setting, will the flow still vary or will it pretty much be constant because it's unable to go any lower? Hopefully that makes sense.

It will be constant. The flow varies between your max setting and a minimum of 1. In my 4g tank I use the filter sponge which reduces the flow enough to let me set it on 4. Just have to clean the sponge every couple days.

zamboni200000

That overflow is sweet... No drilling required? What is it called and where can I get one? Oh and is there any other competing products like that where you don't have to drill? I appreciate the info.

I'll try the cover on the mp10 and see if that helps. I have it turned off right now because I think the extra flow is part of what's pissing my corals off. I finally saw some polyp extension from the montipora tonight but as soon as I turned the mp10 on it went back to angry mode. Nothing else has shown any signs of life (except GSP, which appears to be happy).

The overflow is the MAME overflow. I got it from saltwater-conversion.com. I really love the look of it, only problem so far is that my pistol shrimp keeps getting into it and ending up in my sump! I shoved some filter floss in there so hopefully that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple of weeks now since I made the transfer to this new tank. I think all my corals are finally looking okay except for my dang grape coral. It hasn't once inflated and opened since I made the move. Can't figure out what the heck is wrong with it. I haven't noticed any tissue recession yet and it is still living I'm pretty sure, but it's definitely not looking good. I also added some new dry rock to help disperse my flow a bit. I have several new pieces coming on Tuesday from Exotic Reef Creations, so a more complete update will occur then!

IMG_20141109_191829762_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141109_191848115.jpg

Looks great! I really like the rockwork. Are you using the CAD Lights light fixture while you wait for your Nanobox? It looks pretty nice in the pictures. Did you have to play with white balance to get it to come out that way?

Looks great! I really like the rockwork. Are you using the CAD Lights light fixture while you wait for your Nanobox? It looks pretty nice in the pictures. Did you have to play with white balance to get it to come out that way?

Thanks! Yea the CAD Lights fixture is temporary. It's driving me crazy waiting for the Nanobox, can't wait for it to get here. Doesn't look awful with the CAD Light, but still can't wait to hang the Nanobox over it. I don't have a camera, so their just cell phone pics. I didn't mess with them at all but I do want to get a better camera so I can get some cleaner pics. I'm probably not going to put any more money into the tank for a few months and save up for a camera. Probably...

Well I'm at work now but my wife just called to tell me that my tank was very slowly overflowing... I of course panicked but had her unplug the pump. My ato was refilling my sump so I managed to talk my wife through checking the salinity which is now at 1.02 (usually at 1.025-1.026). Could have been worse I guess... glad my wife noticed when she did so the salinity didn't drop any lower. She sent me a pic of the tank and nothing looks to unhappy so I'll likely just let it evaporate over the next day or two till the salinity is back up. I can't wait to get home and figure out what the heck happened!

Well I couldn't find any problems with my setup... no idea why it overflowed. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next week. Corals/fish all look really good.

Just ordered a 3G tank for my office... I'm just going to stick a AC30 with a tetra or cobalt heater in it and call it good. Super simple, but super excited to get it up and running. I'm thinking lots of ricordea and sexy shrimp.

Archived