SaltCritters.com

Custom Sump for BC 29

aquageek

I mentioned this in my build thread, but there is a lot of traffic in the members aquariums forums so I wanted to make sure I got some eyes on this.

I am tearing the back out of my BC 29 and drilling for overflow and return to a sump in the stock BC 29 cabinet.

I have never designed a sump before so I need some help planning here and would like some input on a few things.

First of all, here is what I have on the way. I ordered a 400GPH overflow box from Glass-Holes as well as 1/2" return kit (I ordered 2, but may end up only running one - input on that would be great too). The pump I am using for the return is a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 (357GPH iirc).

I also have 4 18x24" (.220) acrylic panels.

I plan to have my brother cut the panels with his table saw (once I get all the dimensions ironed out) and assembling using Weld-On #4 (but also bought a tube of Weld-On #16). Not sure which would be better to use, the 4 or the 16.

Really my goal here is to add more water to the system, as well as increased filtration through nutrient extraction.

I would like the sump to have a nice area for a refugium where I plan to have some chaeto and mangroves. I want to use a skimmer as well. I currently have the Tunze 9002 - should I just go ahead and use that or should I try to fit something a bit larger? I am just not sure if the sump would have enough room to fit a larger skimmer as well as a descent refugium area.

Finally, I am really not sure how to lay the sump out. For example, how large each of the chambers would have to be or how many to have (I planned on having 3; overflow, fuge, return). I am also not sure how big (tall) to have the dividers between each chamber. I am also concerned with getting it planned out so that if I lose power the sump will not flood.

Any help, or advice on any of these topics would be great. Thanks for reading!

Just my personal opinion really. I'd never sacrifice skimmer space for a fuge of that size. I'd rather have the room for a larger skimmer than a fuge.

That's a solid point. I think I am going to either make the return or the overflow chamber big enough for a Bubble Mangus 3.5 (was also looking at the Reef Octopus space saver, but the BM looks a bit nicer and is cheaper) and ditch the Tunze 9001. The fuge should still be large enough for a good amount of chaeto and few mangroves. My only concern is I won't have space for an ATO reservoir now since I did have that where the sump is going to go and I don't really have space outside of the stand to put one without pissing off the girlfriend.

You could do what I did and put the ATO reservoir under the sump. I built a simple stand to raise the sump high enough to put a container under it, and still have room for my skimmer. This is on my Oceanic 30g cube tank, but the same principles apply.

That's not a bad idea, evil. I didn't think about doing that. So I measured the foot print and its approximately 17.5" x 18" - so I will probably design it with a foot print of 17"x17". 3 Chambers; overflow, fuge, return. Just need to figure chamber size, sump height, and baffle height.

Got my stuff from Glass-Holes today but they forgot my 3/4" hole saw (it happens, I'm not upset) they are taking care of it and getting it shipped out asap so kudos to those guys. Just wish I could have got it all drilled this weekend. Guess I will have more time to plan the sump and get it all glued together.

Any thoughts on how high the sump should be, as well as chamber and baffle size? I think I'd like to do the overflow chamber larger than I initially thought so I could fit a better skimmer (thinking the Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 which has dimensions of 4.7"L x 7.08"W x 17.3"H).

Baffle height will set the water height in the sump, so plan accordingly based on the water height requirements for the skimmer you pick. Sump height will be determined by how much water will drain from the tank when the pump is shut off. Making it taller than necessary is always good for safety, but makes it difficult getting equipment like a skimmer in and out more of a chore, especially with the limited space you have in the stand.

Archived