inTank Media Baskets

Modifying stand for larger tank

Genie382

Hi all, so all these stories of cracking Nuvo 16's are making me seriously consider replacing the tank. The most cost effective option would be to go w/ the new Fusion series (20 gallon), as I can easily re-use many of the upgrades I've already gotten for my tank. My only issue is that my aquarium stand measures 13 inches wide, which is perfect for my current tank, but will allow roughly 1 inch of overhang on both sides on the new tank. Can I rectify this by placing a 15 inch wide board on the top the stand? Or will that also be a recipe for disaster? Thanks all.

The water will always push out towards the edges. That's why it is so important to have the corners covered. It does seem like constant stress pushing down on the wood would cause it to warp, but a 20g tank is only going to weight 200-250 pounds loaded up. It's one of those things - you will probably be fine, but it's also a lot of water and $$ spilling out into your living room. Plus, most tank makers void the warranty if the tank isn't on their stand. Then again, the tank is the least of your worries if it breaks.

I would go with the right stand, or - like seabass says - pick a more solid base.

Thanks for the advice guys, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to be a good idea. Given the cost of both the tank and stand, I think I'll just wait till we move in a year and upgrade to a 30 or 40 gallon then. Cross fingers for an intact Nuvo till then!

Archived