inTank Media Baskets

Quarantine Tank Biofiltration Options?

jabeuy

I wanna set up a 10g QT tank.

I currently have an AIO tank set up, with an empty chambers with low flow in the rear (possible for a fuge in the future) that I can drop some media in for seeding the QT tank. I also have some filter floss in the overflow section.

There are 3 options for me it seems:

- rock rubble in a mesh bag

- a course sponge

- filter floss

What would be best here for seeding the QT tank?

I'm a little confused since I read you need the media to be in the established tank for at least a week for it to populate with bacteria. But then filter floss needs to be changed more frequently.

It seems to me that rock rubble in the bag would be best. I could put it in the empty chamber for a week and then move it to the QT when needed. When QT is done, I can clean and dry the rock and put it back in the chamber for future QT use. Is this the right thinking?

Deleted User 8

Don't use rock. Use a simple foam filter/pump combo that you run in the DT for a couple weeks to seed with bacteria. Bare bottom with some PVC pipe for hiding spots and your are golden. Simple is best. Rock is too hard to clean and you don't want it in there if you need to medicate.

Also, never use something from the QT in the DT. Foam filters are cheap to replace. Just toss a new one in the DT a week or two before you plan your purchase.

Buzz

Don't use rock. Use a simple foam filter/pump combo that you run in the DT for a couple weeks to seed with bacteria. Bare bottom with some PVC pipe for hiding spots and your are golden. Simple is best. Rock is too hard to clean and you don't want it in there if you need to medicate.

Also, never use something from the QT in the DT. Foam filters are cheap to replace. Just toss a new one in the DT a week or two before you plan your purchase.

Buzz

Thanks Buzz.

Putting the foam in for a couple of weeks won't cause it to become a "nitrate factory" if I have mechanical filtration before it right?

Deleted User 8

Well, depends on how dirty your tank is I suppose. Probably not unless you neglect it. Just like anything, clean or replace it if it gets dirty.

Buzz

Sponge filters! They go biological very quick and provide aeration. I usually run them in conjunction with a small HOB filter like an aqua clear. just with some more bio and filter foam.

I put a sponge in a back compartment, gonna leave it there for a week then test out in a QT to see if it's got enough bacteria.

What I don't understand is when people suggest moving filter floss to the QT. If you're changing it every few days, how is it able to populate with enough bacteria?

Get some bottled bacteria.

One of those biowheels that hooks up to the magnum canisters.

And just do it.

And some Prime just in case.

Other than that, set up a standing tank with live rock and a small protein skimmer. Keep a few small damsels, hermits, and snails for consistent bioload. Use it as a frag tank between new additions, maybe.

I like the idea of using a HoB filter for the QT tank and just setting one of the sponges in the main tank for a few weeks before i am going to be using it. But with all of that said you can just set up a QT tank and make sure and use prime and do regular water changes to keep it down. depending on size you could do a 1-2 gallon water change every other day.

Contrary to what everyone says I run both biomax (ceramic) media and pukani rubble in my quarantine tank. My biofilter is rock solid and I never have to worry about losses during quarantine. If I have to add any meds I just pull the rock rubble out and replace the biomax once the medication cycle is complete. Has worked wonderfully for me. It is totally up to you how you want to do it. Don't get forced into doing what "Everyone else" does.

Deleted User 8

No one is forcing anyone to do anything here. The OP came here asking what to do--telling him to do whatever he wants isn't too helpful.

Question, how do you clean/disinfect the rock rubble? A QT should be simple and easy to disinfect, IMO. You don't need rubble bio filter in a QT for the fish to survive.

Buzz

Well...I put a sponge and bag of rock rubble in my DT's sump/rear.

Dry rock rubble isn't too expensive (I just took a spare piece of rock and smashed it around), so if there's no way to disinfect it, not too much harm done if I have to dispose of it. I can just do the process over with some fresh rock rubble.

Perhaps other bio media (not rock, but something ceramic) might be easier to re-use after meds (but again, for the price of bio media, wouldn't wanna risk putting it back in the DT).

Then again, I only plan to add 2-3 more fish to my current stock, so this probably wouldn't work if you're constantly adding in new fish.

THat said, I only went the rock rubble route cause I already had it handy :)

He asked about a quarantine tank.

Not a hospital tank.

They can be the same tank, of course. But two very different functions.

A UV sterilizer is preventative and for me has negated the need for a hospital tank.

Archived