Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Another Fluval spec V

Chris333

Hi what did you use to cover the side of the glass where the HOB is? Is it paint or something else. I am very new still doing research... ;) Thanks and you spec is coming along great.

The back wall is painted black. I masked it off and used spray paint (flat black I had) Wipe the glass with alcohol first so you don't get fish eyes.

Well there are less diatoms now, but I'm getting green hair algae. I've been using nothing but RODI water so the green hair must be from all the live rock die-off I guess.

IMG_5353.JPG

Any thoughts on a phosphate remover, or just wait for it to go away on it's own?

Re-stacked the rocks a few different ways and I think this one will stick

IMG_5357.JPG

There are 2 small cave areas. I was trying to spread things out to give me a lot of rock surface. Tried making 2 separate stacks and just didn't like 2 piles, with my rocks anyways.

Thanks for the warning on the nano-mag... I have one in my tank too. I will be taking it out today.

Your tank is looking good. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Got my 5.5 gallon CUC from Reef Cleaners. Everything was packed well with a heat pack, but the PO took 5 days to ship it. Looks like the baggie with the 4 large Florida ceriths didn't make it, but everything else did and there were TONS* of extras.

*TONS seriously the package says 5 dwarf ceriths and I probably recived 50 of them. :eek:

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=208&virtuemart_category_id=20

Took less than 12 hours for the snails to jamb up my water deflector...

Took it apart and made a round guard (looks like a big plastic washer) to cover the rear of it. I really like the way the deflector works and don't want another pump in the tank so I hope the guard works. Grrrrr.

It is just a donut shaped piece of black plastic. I got the idea from another build on here. This is mine:

IMG_5365.JPG

Slides on tight to the rubber tube adapter.

Like sands in an hourglass so do the falling of my water deflector to the bottom of the tank :(

So I took the elbow out:

IMG_5368.JPG

And I filed down one side so I could slide it through the bulkhead hole as far as possible. Now the short piece of hose can get a better grip:

IMG_5371.JPG

I also pulled the 606 pump and glued small rubber feet to the bottom and sides, now it doesn't vibrate. Green hair algae appreciates my hard work :rolleyes:

aquariumlover10
Rock is here:

20141023_142505.jpg20141023_142512.jpg

I have questions about the green discs and red branches. Are those algaes that will keep growning. Should I get rid of them?

In the tank. No scape, just getting them wet:

20141023_145241.jpg

I'm also worried about these orange spots. I've read they are sponges and will spread fast, is that true?

20141023_145326.jpg20141023_145335.jpg20141023_145344.jpg20141023_145302.jpg

There were 2 crabs and a shrimp I found that didn't make it, but a snail did and some worms.

Awesome gulf LR, here's a site that is way better thenanyting else ive seen www.tbsaltwater.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far I seem to be very good at growing algae :(

The diatoms didn't last very long once I added the snails. The green hair algae is starting to finally die off. But I also have byropsis and dictyota algaes growing. Just today I noticed some red bubble algae:

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

And my fuge was stocked with chaeto and fern caulerpa, but now there is a bunch of green hair in there...

• 2 years later...
ReefKeeperNoob
On 11/2/2014 at 3:28 AM, Chris333 said:

Thanks. I hope it works out. The LFS had some rock so I bought 1-2 lbs for the fuge:

IMG_5338.JPG

And I trimmed the top cover to fit:

IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

Another hitchhiker

IMG_5345.JPG

Do you still have this setup? if so how well did it work out for you? I got it and im planning on doing the same thing =) sorry i know this is old..

Archived