Pod Your Reef

What is the oceanic biocube stand made of?

billybatz9

If you are going to do it yourself, do it right and don't use MDF. Use finish plywood that won't swell and weaken when it gets a little wet. It will have a stainable exterior finish too, if that's something you are interested in. Plywood will be a lot stronger than MDF too. Of course, if you don't know how to do woodwork properly, then a weak stand is a weak stand, no matter where it comes from. Not taking a jab at you, but I have no idea what your woodworking skills are.

Also, I think you may find that after you purchase all the materials (plywood, fasteners, glue, stain/paint, cabinet hardware, etc...), you probably won't be saving a lot of money, especially if you have to buy tools to do it. The big advantaqe is you get to build it how you want.

I have a Oceanic Biocube 14 stand. It is made out of particle board (which is low density fiberboard) and plastic laminate. The back is mat board. Yes, I am not kidding. It is really junk. Although I think the design is OK.

I bought it because I did not have the time to build one and could not find another stand I liked. But will be building a replacement (same design) soon. My materials for the DIY will be 3/4" Baltic ply with 1/2" Baltic for the back.

Try to build your own stand if you can. It will be much better.

David

Archived