Pod Your Reef

Thinking about starting over

flyboy789

Hello All

I've had a Nuvo 16 up and running for about a year and with the recent birth of my second child I've gotten behind on tank maintenance. I have quite a nasty outbreak of GHA and bubble algae. So I was browsing the forums to read up on ideas on how I might best tackle my algae problem and I've been reading about all these Nuvo 16's that seem to be cracking and I seriously just considered taking my two Picasso Clowns back to the fish store and calling it quit's - If this tank fails I'm looking at 5k+ damage to replace my hardwood floors, something I could not even imagine right now - And my older daughter and I have grown quiet attached to our clowns.

In my browsing I noticed the new Fusion Nano takes... they look quite nice and I'm thinking about starting over with a Fusion 20. So my questions is...

1 - Try and tackle my algae problem in the current tank and transfer most of my rock to the new tank

2 - Transfer the current rock (with algae) to the new tank and tackle it there to get this ticking time bomb (Nuvo 16) out of my home and away from my hardwood floors...

3 - Start 100% fresh - new rock, new sand etc, cycle the tank then transfer livestock. (Only have the 2 clowns, emerald crab, few snails and a few softies)

I say option 3, start with new rocks and sand, in a new tank. Like you said, it's a ticking time bomb.

With a new baby, it's hard to get anything done! Since my daughter was born, my tank went downhill, I tried to save it, but it was a losing battle. Don't waste your time, can be better spent with your family. ;) Just keep up with maintenance, and run GFO if you can, to prevent a future outbreak.

Btw, Congrats on the new addition! :)

Archived