Pod Your Reef

vero10 evil cluster Q for 60cube

CausticGuy

Searched with mixed results...

What is the consensus on a vero10 based cluster for a 60g cube, 24x24 footprint? Would I be ok with one or would I need 2 or more to keep from spotlighting the center.

The fixture can only be 7.5" off the water if I keep it in the hood or 10.5" if I set the fixture on top of the hood. Will i be able to run optics for the Vero or Luxeon Ms?

The tank will be mostly SPS

Would one cluster and a 2x24w T5 setup be a better route?

Any other recommendations?

jedimasterben

I would use four clusters spaced out of the tank in two rows. I would not use any optics, see my build in my sig for details on my array.

Thanks Jedi.I just looked through most of it and saw that you used 4 in a row, that's why I thought one, maybe 2 would be a possibility. Are you thinking 4 because I'm so close to the water and 24" deep?

jedimasterben
Thanks Jedi.I just looked through most of it and saw that you used 4 in a row, that's why I thought one, maybe 2 would be a possibility. Are you thinking 4 because I'm so close to the water and 24" deep?

No, because you'll probably want more spread, I know I do. So I'm basically making the same output as I have now and using two rows of LEDs spaced out by around 8" and then the two T5.

4 clusters would be almost $500 in LEDs alone..

Each cluster:

1 Vero10

3 Luxeon M royal blue

4 Phillips Lime

4 LGB Violet

8 LGB True Violet

3 LGB Cree xpe2 Blue

3 LGB turquoise

I might try one or 2 or spread 3w out more I guess.

jedimasterben

Oh lord that's too much lol. Look at what my clusters are and how much output they give. You don't need more than what I have.

Caustic if you are looking at buying LEDs, I have 4 80cri vero 10 with connectors, 12 430nm violets (bought from Ben) and an o2surplus 8up LDD board that I won't be using. Everything is new except the violets from Ben.

You can cut the LED count a lot by going:

Per cluster -

1x Vero 10 4000K 90CRI

1x Luxeon K 8-up

2x Lime

2x cool blue

1x cyan

1x 410nm violet

1x 430nm violet

Why is the mW listed for luxeon K 4500-5400 but Steve's lists their Ms at 6200 max and LGB lists theirs at 5000? What makes the K so much better besides obviously 8 is better then 4?

jedimasterben

Why is the mW listed for luxeon K 4500-5400 but Steve's lists their Ms at 6200 max and LGB lists theirs at 5000? What makes the K so much better besides obviously 8 is better then 4?

Depends on what the current their number is for. LEDgroupbuy's chips are 5000mW at 700mA, Steve's are 6200 at 1A, etc.

The Luxeon M has four Luxeon T diodes in a single package. The Luxeon K has between four and 16 Luxeon T chips (full chips) and are rated at 350mA.

IMHO, unless you're planning on having your lights hung very, very, very high, then going with anything over the Luxeon M is a waste. If you're wanting to use the K8, then keep them at low currents.

The Luxeon K 8-up outputs 5000mw @ 350ma. Luxeon M is 6200mw @ 1A. The Luxeon K can do up to 1A. Since most people tend to do 2x Luxeon M per Vero you can replace both of those M with one K. Plus the K is the same price as a single M.

Archived