Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sudden Water Cloudiness?

shawnriv

Hi Everyone,

Today I did my usual weekly tank maintenance and did a 10% water change. I also dosed my tank a little while ago with Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium, (since my levels were low) and about an hour later my entire tank is very, very cloudy. I have dosed before in the past but never seen the entire tank become cloudy. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I dosed my tank a little while ago with Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium, and about an hour later my entire tank is very, very cloudy. I have dosed before in the past but never seen the entire tank become cloudy. Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks!

Is it calcium participate? What are the calc, mag and all levels?

Is it calcium participate? What are the calc, mag and all levels?

I have the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium kit from Bulk Reef Supply. My levels are as follows:

Ca: 420

Alk: 9

Mg: 1350

I have the calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium kit from Bulk Reef Supply. My levels are as follows:

Ca: 420

Alk: 9

Mg: 1350

I don't know then, personally I have never dosed and got by on water changes. Someone will on here

I hope you didn't add all of them at the same time. Adding calcium and alk at the same time will do that.

Eek! Well I didn't add them at the same time as in mixing them. But I did add the Calcium in from of my MP10, then the Alkalinity, and then Magnesium. I probably waited five minutes between dosing. :huh:

Yeah don't dose at the same time. Five min is not enough time in between.

I dose alk at night a few hours after lights out and Ca during the day a little while after lights come on.

Yeah don't dose at the same time. Five min is not enough time in between.

I dose alk at night a few hours after lights out and Ca during the day a little while after lights come on.

I will definitely take that advice. Thank you! Is there anything I can do right now to decrease the cloudiness? Will it go away on its own?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a BC29 and had my Apex malfunction and turn on my alk pump. Tanked was so cloudy it looked like someone poured milk into it. Was up to over 15. In this case, I did some very large water changes and was able to get the tank down to about 11. Next day, it looked like it had snowed in the tank, but the water was crystal clear. Nothing died. In fact, everything seemed to grow even faster after that.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have a BC29 and had my Apex malfunction and turn on my alk pump. Tanked was so cloudy it looked like someone poured milk into it. Was up to over 15. In this case, I did some very large water changes and was able to get the tank down to about 11. Next day, it looked like it had snowed in the tank, but the water was crystal clear. Nothing died. In fact, everything seemed to grow even faster after that.

Luckily my tank didn't go that high, but I was thinking of doing a water change just to clear it up. But I'm guessing it should be fine. I hope my coral enjoy it. I've had the worst luck with my trumpet coral.

I usually add my cal and alk simeltaneously and I doubt it's that, I think it's probably your salt mix, I've had some that clouded my water for a few hours sometimes

Archived