fbzBp0sh.jpg

FTS 11/27/2014:

SIjgLn4.jpg?1
FTS 10/24/2014

PFU5hN5.jpg

FTS 10/19/2014:

AFs5Udvh.jpg

Equipment:

• Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0 [not sure if this is enough, it gives a very gentle flow]
  • Wavemaker: Jebao RW8
  • Lights: 144w Cree Chinese LEDs (Channel 1: 16 White 10000K, Channel 2: 17 Royal Blue 450-465nm, Channel 3: 8 , Purple 420nm - 2 Red 620nm - 2 Green 520nm, Channel 4: 3 Moonlight Blue 465-485nm)
  • ATO: Smart ATO
  • Skimmer: Tunze 9004
  • Heater: ViaAqua Titanium Heater

Original Post

After running a filterless 10G for a few months, I've decided to go a little bigger and allow for space to add a filter media, skimmer, fuge, etc.

Not quite ready for a sumped system yet, so I went for a custom all-in-one type, with 4 back chambers, 4" deep to allow for more equipment flexibility. With the 4" deep back chambers, the display is at: 36" x 14" x 13".

I've got additional dry rock (been cycling in another tank with ammonia drops and sand from existing tank), and am moving everything over from the 10g into this one.

Using all new sand, the leftovers (about 14lbs) from my previous build. After pouring it in, looks like it's enough to have a 1/2" or so.

More Pics:

New tank time!
vchNuDR.jpg

Filling with RODI
BZPsfDq.jpg

All filled!
eWhnmOi.jpg

Mixing SW
FcC3owi.jpg

Added sand and some dry "cycled" rock
PkIbdyC.jpg

Cleared up!

CxRVvim.jpg

After adding sand and rock, it miraculously cleared up 2 hours. See: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/352545-using-filter-floss-to-get-sandstorm-to-clear-up/

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eager to see how the lights do as well.

Still waiting for it to clear up again haha. I keep messing with it and it keeps getting cloudy. But I have a plan to keep it clear this time :)

CatfishSoupFTW

the return pump does seem a bit on the weak end. but you can always compensate movement with the wp10.

if you want more turn over the 2.0 would suffice, or 3.0 would be perfect if it fits. After that, I heard they get a bit louder than they should. I recently ordered the 3.0. 95 smackarooos.

the return pump does seem a bit on the weak end. but you can always compensate movement with the wp10.

if you want more turn over the 2.0 would suffice, or 3.0 would be perfect if it fits. After that, I heard they get a bit louder than they should. I recently ordered the 3.0. 95 smackarooos.

Yeah flow in the display should be fine with the WP10.

Just wondering if more flow in the rear chambers is needed. Water seems really stagnant. But I don't even think a stronger return pump will increase flow in the chambers before it.

Yeah flow in the display should be fine with the WP10.

Just wondering if more flow in the rear chambers is needed. Water seems really stagnant. But I don't even think a stronger return pump will increase flow in the chambers before it.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about getting too-fast flow in the filtration unless your media shows it's getting clogged too quickly. It makes for more contact time with your chemical filtration and skimmer and stuff, if you've got one. And if you're growing chaeto in the fuge back there, lower flow's good.

CatfishSoupFTW

hmm... I doubt the pull on the intake of the pump would make a difference even if you upgraded. I dont use or have used AIOs so I guess we will see what people say. my girlfriend has a IQ3 but thats hardly anything to compare.

Got everything moved into the tank!

Everything looks so tiny haha.

AFs5Udvh.jpg

I think I have 1 or 2 too many rocks in there.

Planning to get some eggcrate and create a media basket where I can put some floss and some rock rubble in.

I got some 1/8" board from home depot to skin the stand. Cost $4 for a 24"x48" sheet.

It came in a white finish, so I didn't have to paint/stain, and if it gets wet...well its $4 lol.

I also got some industrial strength velcro to keep it on, since home depot didn't have any magnets.

I think it looks good from afar, but upon closer inspection it looks like a hack job.

Admittedly, I just walked into Home Depot with no plan. Nothing else but the measurements.

And after 1 day, I'm getting tired of having to peel off the industrial strength velcro. Way too strong.

Anyone have any ideas for skinning the stand? Ideally, I want it to be like the vertex stands from the BRS videos.

tlv5QLE.jpg

37aXqL5.jpg

KO6gM1h.jpg

Seems like my Xenia doesn't like this tank.

Any ideas why it might be wilting?

bbIsSVE.jpg

And looks like one of my clowns has ich. No real plan on how to treat yet.

zhUx0cK.jpg

3FFtoQJ.jpg

You transferred everything from a 10G right? You should set that up as a QT for your clown. Better sooner than later.

Tank looks good, congrats on the successful transfer.

You transferred everything from a 10G right? You should set that up as a QT for your clown. Better sooner than later.

Tank looks good, congrats on the successful transfer.

Thanks. And yup, everything in there is from the 10G, except for the new still really white rocks.

I did plan to use the 10G as a quarantine, but expected to use it for new fish haha. Still need to read up on the best procedures to take for ich.

After a bit of reading, seems like ich will always be present in a tank with fish. And since nothing new but the dry rocks was moved over, there must've already been ich from the 10G. So I guess unless I go fallow, this new tank will always have ich in it, and the clown just got stressed from the move.

If that's the case, hopefully keeping the clown well fed and not stressed in the DT will get it better.

Thanks. And yup, everything in there is from the 10G, except for the new still really white rocks.

I did plan to use the 10G as a quarantine, but expected to use it for new fish haha. Still need to read up on the best procedures to take for ich.

After a bit of reading, seems like ich will always be present in a tank with fish. And since nothing new but the dry rocks was moved over, there must've already been ich from the 10G. So I guess unless I go fallow, this new tank will always have ich in it, and the clown just got stressed from the move.

If that's the case, hopefully keeping the clown well fed and not stressed in the DT will get it better.

Hopefully that's the case, yes. It's kind of tough to keep ich out of your tank; even some frag tanks are kept with a fish or two in them, either for pest removal or algae management. So even corals can come in with cysts. Another reason why it's such a good idea to remove frag plugs and replace with your own when you get the corals...

Hopefully that's the case, yes. It's kind of tough to keep ich out of your tank; even some frag tanks are kept with a fish or two in them, either for pest removal or algae management. So even corals can come in with cysts. Another reason why it's such a good idea to remove frag plugs and replace with your own when you get the corals...

Do you know of coral dips can kill och that might have come on plugs or the corals themselves?

The latest addition before the move was 3 pieces of sps from a LFS that had what looked like a harem of clowns in the tank. I dipped those in Revive though.

Do you know of coral dips can kill och that might have come on plugs or the corals themselves?

The latest addition before the move was 3 pieces of sps from a LFS that had what looked like a harem of clowns in the tank. I dipped those in Revive though.

Corals won't react to copper (yikes) or extended hyposalinity well at all, so no. But I doubt ich could settle on the flesh of a coral, especially considering the fact that they slime over and sting and can be basted.

Corals won't react to copper (yikes) or extended hyposalinity well at all, so no. But I doubt ich could settle on the flesh of a coral, especially considering the fact that they slime over and sting and can be basted.

Oh that's true about corals sliming and stinging. I guess removing the plug is good enough.

Looks pretty good! Though I think anything over 12" is not really that shallow :P Also keep all the frags off the sandbed and it give a much cleaner look(unless your just acclimating them

Looks pretty good! Though I think anything over 12" is not really that shallow :P Also keep all the frags off the sandbed and it give a much cleaner look(unless your just acclimating them

Aww man, I'm 1" too high ;)

Good tip about the sandbed. The blasto is gonna be put on the same rock as the acan. Not sure where to place the candy cane though. But I think I like the hammer and torch on the sand, unless I find a good place for them.

Archived