ReefCleaners.org

36g Shallow AIO

jabeuy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanks looking good- nice shot from a phone

Thanks a lot! It's looking pretty ugly these days with some brown/red/rust algae covering much of the sand bed haha.

I leave it on else mode. Mind you I run a mp10 opposite side on reef crest at 50-60%.

Ah gotcha. Seems like rw8 would be the right call.

Ya, stir it up! Good start though - like your rock layout!

Thanks, was actually looking into removing the right most rock, and shifting everything to the right a bit. To get better water flow and have a more minimal scape. The only thing preventing me from doing that is the amount of work needed to take the corals off of the removed rock lol. Probably will just leave it till I have to move the tank next.

Ya- always a pain removing coral- you mention a bigger tank in the future - what are you thinking? I am in the process of figuring out what I want to upgrade to also

Ya- always a pain removing coral- you mention a bigger tank in the future - what are you thinking? I am in the process of figuring out what I want to upgrade to also

Planning on putting a bigger (maybe 100g+) tank in an office. Depending on the space lol.

Also moving mid next year, so will need to move this tank as well.

Got a plain all-green scoly and a white bubble coral.

Dropped some hikari pellets on the scoly and it went to work! I should probably start to get more nutritious food for my corals haha.

SglUXWC.jpg

Bubble coral (can see the cyano/diatoms getting really bad in this pic)

VCRLoUo.jpg

I had that cyano problem a short while ago and solved it by ordering a snail-bomb from ReefCleaners and keeping up with vacuuming the sandbed whenever I did a water change, as well as with carbon and GFO changes.

I had that cyano problem a short while ago and solved it by ordering a snail-bomb from ReefCleaners and keeping up with vacuuming the sandbed whenever I did a water change, as well as with carbon and GFO changes.

Thanks, good to know :)

I beefed up my CUC slightly with a few more nassarius and ceriths. Also now running phosguard in a bag, and doing weekly 4g PWC's. Hopefully this does the trick, or at least helps.

Latest shot after siphoning out some cyano.

fbzBp0sh.jpg

What do you guys think about taking out the right most rock and shifting everything over? A more minimal look. I wanna put that rock into a new tank, but I'm scared of affecting the bio capacity of the tank.

Some updates on the tank.

Replaced the wp10 with an rw8. This thing moves serious water!

Added a boatload of corals! Got some favias and red monticap frag. Also, a buddy of mine dropped off some corals to hold for a couple of months while he moves. Had to rearrange a lot, and move some of my corals into a pico that I'm setting up.

Still battling cyano :(

A temporary FTS, octospawn is huge haha

6fEvP6Ah.jpg

vKsK9gyh.jpg

LoPz5mLh.jpg

SerEQhoh.jpg

eQze46eh.jpg

Don't wanna jinx it, but the cyano seems to be receding. It hasn't grown back over the sand since I last siphoned it out.

Here's a videos of a few modes I can run the RW8 on without completely blasting away my corals:

Don't wanna jinx it, but the cyano seems to be receding. It hasn't grown back over the sand since I last siphoned it out.

Here's a videos of a few modes I can run the RW8 on without completely blasting away my corals:

My tank has the same footprint and that looks like a bit too much flow for my taste, kind of happy I stuck with the RW-4.

My tank has the same footprint and that looks like a bit too much flow for my taste, kind of happy I stuck with the RW-4.

Haha yeah it is a lot of flow. I stay mostly on the 1st mode I show.

I have a bubble coral and elegance that I had to reposition to under the pump, otherwise they just didn't open up.

My wp10 wasn't enough flow, so I thought an rw-4 would've been about the same, so went with the rw8.

Haha yeah it is a lot of flow. I stay mostly on the 1st mode I show.

I have a bubble coral and elegance that I had to reposition to under the pump, otherwise they just didn't open up.

My wp10 wasn't enough flow, so I thought an rw-4 would've been about the same, so went with the rw8.

i have a WP-10 and RW-4 and can say the RW-4 is significantly more flow than the WP-10. I wish I got just a little more from the RW-4 TBH, but I would rather it come up a little short than have to keep an RW-8 at like 40% max.

i have a WP-10 and RW-4 and can say the RW-4 is significantly more flow than the WP-10. I wish I got just a little more from the RW-4 TBH, but I would rather it come up a little short than have to keep an RW-8 at like 40% max.

Yeah, I read somewhere (from the guy selling the JBWave controllers) that keeping these pumps below 50% or somewhere around that gets them clogged up with debris faster. Which makes sense.

But for now I'm happy with the rw8, seems to be the reason my cyano is receding. If I can get my hands on an rw4 somewhere down the line I'll give it a go.

Latest shot after siphoning out some cyano. What do you guys think about taking out the right most rock and shifting everything over? A more minimal look. I wanna put that rock into a new tank, but I'm scared of affecting the bio capacity of the tank.

I say go for it if you want to, I personally think there are a lot of benefits to a more open scape. If the tank is mature and you have a good method of nutrient export, the bio-filter should adjust quickly.

That being said, that rock looks awesome with all the frogspawn, and your clowns seem to enjoy hanging out over there.

I say go for it if you want to, I personally think there are a lot of benefits to a more open scape. If the tank is mature and you have a good method of nutrient export, the bio-filter should adjust quickly.

That being said, that rock looks awesome with all the frogspawn, and your clowns seem to enjoy hanging out over there.

Thanks. I think I'm gonna leave it as is for the time being. Just dealt with some cyano that I believe is going away, dont wanna try any drastic changes for a while :)

Archived