SaltCritters.com

New tank water parameters

dchapman10

My 20L tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now. I've taken a couple of readings and here are the results.

10/14 (1st reading)

• pH=8
  • NH3=0
  • N02=0.2
  • NO3=10

10/18 ( 2nd reading)

• pH=7.8
  • NH3=0.2
  • N02=0.5
  • NO3=20

I know a tank is "cycled" when ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate is greater than 0. What do these measurements tell me? I'm guessing the tank is still in the process because ammonia and nitrite is above 0. I also feel that the pH is low. At this point, should I use a buffer to raise the pH or just wait some more until the levels even out? What levels should the nitrate be? A measurable amount of nitrate shows the tank is "cycled", but you don't want a lot of nitrate, do you? The tank is starting to have diatoms. At this point, should I start adding the clean up crew? Anything else I need to be doing (water change)? How often should I be testing the water at this point?

Thanks in advance for all of the help! :)

Tank is still cycling. Don't worry too much about the pH. It's not that critical. You don't have to worry about the nitrate level while it is cycling either. There are different opinions on doing water changes during the cycle. Some claim it will slow it down.

When I cycles my tank I didn't test my water at all until it had been running for 6 weeks. And I didn't do any water changes either. Don't add any animals until ammonia and nitrite are 0.

Archived