inTank Media Baskets

Red Hair Algea! ERMAHGERRRD!

14biocubeGuy

OK. So i recently decided to start making my own saltwater since driving 30 minutes to go get 5 gallons was just a pain. I have been buying distilled water from Kroger for my ATO ( i got through about 2-3 gallons a week). I also Mixed up a batch up saltwater using 5 gallons of distilled water and Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix.

After a water change, I used the new saltwater mix to replace the water i had changed. Ever since then, the film on my BC14 glass has been getting worse. I used to clean the glass every 4 days, now every day. I also noticed some red hair algae forming on some rock and coral frags.

I am running the coralife protein skimmer in chamber one with the bottom cut out, I have a rack in the back of chamber two. The top of the rack has 3 filters ( one blue floss, on medium floss, and one thick pad for nitrates), the middle has CHempure elite, and the bottom has Cheato with a fuge light that comes on when the main lights come off. IN chamber 3 i have an upgraded pump with the BC14 sterilizer, and the heater.

My peramiters are: (red Sea Test kits)

MG 1560

Ak 8

CA 450

Nitrates 0.0

Phosphates 0.04

I supplement my tank with acropower once a week (1/4 tsp) and BRS calc, alk, and mg. I feed corals once a week and broadcast feed my two clowns and shrimp every other day.

I am wondering what is causing the algae to spike! Im purchasing an RO/DI from BRS and am going to start using that to mix my saltwater and add water to my ATO. I was also wondering if adding a reactor in the back of my BC14 would be a good idea or if it would even fit?!

Any ideas on how to correct this problem!? Thanks!

Forgot to mention that i have also read that leaving the lights off for 2 days would help with this problem. Im looking for a better solution though

Following ..

Having the same trouble where as NO3 is 0 (API) and PO4:is 0.02 (Hanna) and am feeding even less (once in 2 days). Probably need to reduced light schedule ....

Are you sure it is hair algae and not cyano?

If you want to use a reactor, what would you put in it, your levels aren't out of whack.

I probably think your source water has more nutrients than your tank needs.

I see you feeding schedule but don't see what you are feeding, any pictures would help, do you have a ton of acros?

A couple of questions for you.

How often do you do water changes and what amount are you changing?

Are you getting jugs of water or from a machine?

Archived