Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hydor nano slim question

nanofish1

I am currently running hydor slim nano 115 skimmer in the first chamber of biocube 29. The system has been running for one month. I currently have live rock, sand and one damsel fish. Everytime I check the hydor skimmer, there is just clear saltwater in the collection cup. I am not sure if I am using this correctly. I thought there should be more of green junk in there, but this is not the case for me. When I empty out the cup, it soon gets filled with more clear salt water. Also, there is an air adjustment valve, but I am not sure how much airflow I should have to get the skimmer to work properly.

Move the collection cup higher for dryer skim... Say around 3/4 of cup is above the water line. Also open up the air valve little more..air value is is open when u can see the screw threads on the valve. Half way is a good start. Let is run for a few days and readjust as necesary.

Hope this work out.

I am currently running hydor slim nano 115 skimmer in the first chamber of biocube 29. The system has been running for one month. I currently have live rock, sand and one damsel fish. Everytime I check the hydor skimmer, there is just clear saltwater in the collection cup. I am not sure if I am using this correctly. I thought there should be more of green junk in there, but this is not the case for me. When I empty out the cup, it soon gets filled with more clear salt water. Also, there is an air adjustment valve, but I am not sure how much airflow I should have to get the skimmer to work properly.

Normally the valve of the Skimmer Hydor must leave all open, you can close it slightly to decrease the foam. I advise you to lower the 'o-ring the collection cup, raise your glass to make the level of' water. So you will have a darker and denser foam. also checks that the skimmer body is not too immersed compared to the level of exercise.

Thank you for the replies! How long does it take for it to get green junk?

There is no set time, it depends on your aquarium. You also have to consider that at each setting the skimmer has a time of adjustment.

Thank you for the replies! How long does it take for it to get green junk?

it depends on the a lot of factors - how dirty is the tank, flow around the skimmer, etc . You should see junk in around in a couple of days, sometimes earlier.

I agree with all the above comments, but remember with one damsel in a 34 their Wont be a lot to skim. I have the same skimmer and it took about 10 days to brake in.

I tried to move the O ring down but it is still filled with clear salt water! Not sure what's going on. So right now I have 2 clown fish, one firefish and few corals (I took out the damsel and put it in a smaller tank for now). I was thinking that there should be more gunk produced, but so far not yet.

Also, I am thinking I did not place the hydor skim in correct position... because what I did was... when I put the hydor in the first chamber of biocube I noticed that it gets submerged all the way (even the cup is underwater). so I thought this defeats the purpose of the skimmer... so I cut out the end of a water bottle and placed it in chamber one at the bottom.. and then on top of the water bottle, placed the hydor skimmer so that the cup is not submerged.

Is this totally wrong?

How are you guys making sure that the cup does not get submerged all the way?

Archived