Pod Your Reef

Shallow.Cube.

Miguel Burguete

Miguel Burguete

After almost one year maintaining 5 Gallon pico-reef dedicated to corals only, I think it is time to have some fishes. The volume of water will not be huge but thinking about available area it is quite interesting. This open space combined with the lighting efficiency was the main reason to go for this shallow cube.

I’m not a big fan of planning the future for a tank and also have failed plans in the past. So the designing and preparation was very well though.

The main objectives for this cube is to have fun, learn and build a mixed reef more focused on Lps’s and Zoanthus.

From what I learned in the past and from others I decided to build an overflow but without the conventional teeth, so it will have something close to pool’s skimmers. It will have two line rips so surface is skimmed.

I have been building the stand, which is way bigger than the tank, but it is cool ecause inside space is huge and I can hide everything in there. My fixture is from a local producer, is has German electronic ballasts and reflectors. Bulb combo is yet to decide, not sure if want to use the purple+ or how many blue +..

The tank will start with dry rock that I have been cleaning for a quite long time, I probably add some live rock from my pico. After the cycle I want to move every coral from the smaller one.

IMG_1143.jpg

Equipment

Tank: 60cm x 60cm x 25cm (24 x 24 x 9.8 inches)

(Acrylic overflow in one corner)

Sump: 60cm x 30cm x 25cm (24 x 12 x 9.8 inches)

Lighting: T5 Fixture with ATI bulbs. (3 Blue+; 1 Coral+)

Dosing: Grotech one channel doser for KH

Flow: 1 Tunze 6015

Skimmer: BubbleMagus NAC 3,5 Cone

Return: NewJet 800L/H return pump
+ TMC ATO System (Single float)

Inspiration:

·4X5;

·Rehype

·AJ_Tsin

·NanoTopia

IMG_1145.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miguel Burguete

Update:

Tank arrived this weekend. I just waiting for pipes to be able to fill it with water!

Some feedback on the layout?

Photo_26_10_14_11_00_14.jpg
Miguel Burguete

Looking good, how many lbs of rock is that? And how did you cure it?

Hey, thanks.

I used 6,6 lbs of live cured rock in the sump with more than a year in an old tank. More 6 lbs of dry rock for the hardscape which was boild before and have been in RO water for one month. So the dry rock is still curing.

Miguel Burguete

Damn I love this tank, I am addicted to shallow tanks! Where did you got this tank? Price if you dont mind me asking?

Hey I live in Portugal and so I ordered it here, it was about $80.

Hey I live in Portugal and so I ordered it here, it was about $80.

Yeah nope, I live in the US. Companies here think they sell gold so that probably cost here like $180 dollars, sadly. :( I am following your thread, liking your tank a whole lot.

Miguel Burguete

Hey guys! Thanks!

Update:

I am not yet satisfied with circulation. The tunze is to big IMO. So I am considering buying one jebao wp10.. since the budget do not allow a vortech for now.

In other hand, I am already covering the drops in Alk with my automatic doser! It really helps even in the beginning.

Also today I bought the first fish, since I used so many matured and cured live-rock on sump my cicle was quite fast and corals seem very happy. He is a very very small Acanthurus coeruleus.

I will try to keep it clean and good looking.

Hey guys! Thanks!

Update:

I am not yet satisfied with circulation. The tunze is to big IMO. So I am considering buying one jebao wp10.. since the budget do not allow a vortech for now.

In other hand, I am already covering the drops in Alk with my automatic doser! It really helps even in the beginning.

Also today I bought the first fish, since I used so many matured and cured live-rock on sump my cicle was quite fast and corals seem very happy. He is a very very small Acanthurus coeruleus.

That very, very small tang; is going to be a very very large tang. I hope you have a plan for the future. However, the tank looks great so far.

Miguel Burguete

That very, very small tang; is going to be a very very large tang. I hope you have a plan for the future. However, the tank looks great so far.

Yes! And thank you for remember me! I love the hobby and respect it very much. He has plenty of space to swim eats like a beast and I do not want to have a lot of fish here, also when the size gets critical I have a plan B for him, with much more space.

Hey guys! Thanks!

Update:

Your tank is looking incredible! Really good job :) About the Jebao pump, buy the RW series instead. Much better and smaller pump. 2 RW4 should fit nicely. Or maybe one RW8.

Archived