Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

30 gallon cycle question

petkingdom619

petkingdom619

I have a 30 gallon with 20 lbs live rock 20 lbs live sand. I only have a koralia pump in there for now until I get my aquaclear. I also only have 20 gallons of water in the tank right now. I haven't been able to go pick up more water yet.

I know the tank is still cycling but is anything going to be effected when I add more water to it

Nothing will be affected, just make sure added water is same salinity that tank is. The bacteria that is needed to cycle and maintain after cycle is not in the water column but resides in the rock, sand, filter media.

petkingdom619

Thanks. The water will be the same. I get it from the Scripps pier in San Diego . comes from the ocean

petkingdom619

Why do I keep reading of people adding food or ammonia to there cycle?When I've done cycles before I didn't do anything.

Why do I keep reading of people adding food or ammonia to there cycle?When I've done cycles before I didn't do anything.

I think most of those folks are not using 'live' rock but rather dry dead rock or artificial rock. LR doesn't need any additives.

Archived