inTank Media Baskets

Ordered Corals Online for the First Time-What to expect?

SomeWonderfulNonsense

SomeWonderfulNonsense

I just ordered corals for the first time and they came in today. From what I've always heard they always looked a little stressed, and my slime up. Mine looked like this when they came in, but honestly they looked pretty good. I floated them for about 30 minutes, dipped them in some Revive, turned my Tide LED's down to about 20% and placed them in the sand. I just got home now and the Pavona looks dead, like I feel like it looks like it rotted away, and the acro doesn't look that great either. They are both white, and I can't tell if i'm looking at the skeleton of the pavona's ridges or just white flesh that shows the striations. The Pavona is still sliming (? possibly melting) and I can see some pigmentation in the slime. They are still some green polyps on the acro though and it isn't really sliming

Phospates are at 0, nitrite and nitrate are at acceptable ranges, and so is calcium. The only possible thing that could be bad is my temp which is at 82- i usually try to keep it at 79 but for some reason the weather got a lot warmer up here and so did the tank. Since I have the lights low its hard to get a picture.

Basically did I just kill my new corals?

SomeWonderfulNonsense

Hey so this morning they looked a little bad, but I can tell what's dead and what not and there still is a lot left so that's good I guess. I think it must have been the temp swing that did it. Yes, I got them in the morning with next day and I dunked them in the revive mixed with my tank water for about five minutes. Thanks for the help though!

Phospates are at 0, nitrite and nitrate are at acceptable ranges, and so is calcium. The only possible thing that could be bad is my temp which is at 82- i usually try to keep it at 79 but for some reason the weather got a lot warmer up here and so did the tank. Since I have the lights low its hard to get a picture.

Basically did I just kill my new corals?

Numbers make it much easier to help, but nitrite at any level is unacceptable. A temp swing from 79-82 isn't going to kill any corals.

Hey so this morning they looked a little bad, but I can tell what's dead and what not and there still is a lot left so that's good I guess. I think it must have been the temp swing that did it. Yes, I got them in the morning with next day and I dunked them in the revive mixed with my tank water for about five minutes. Thanks for the help though!

Temp swing won't do that. Maybe a large temp swing when shipping if they got very cold or hot but definitely not 79-82.

You did revive at the exact amount recommended on the bottle?

SomeWonderfulNonsense

Most likely not. I use a small bowl that I have and only use a capful. I never did the exact conversion rates out so its possible that I over shot it. I've used a cap of revive on all my other corals in the bowl and never had a problem though.

Archived