Cultivated Reef

Lights out- White corals

LilCope

When the lights go totally out and i look at the corals, they are generally white. It seems to only be white on the faces of the coral that receive light. Is this bleaching? or is this normal?

Mr. Microscope

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.

Sounds like bleaching, but hard to say without knowing more about what's going on in your system and a pic or two. Have you recently changed lighting (what kind of lighting)? Are the corals new? How old is your tank?

Nice pic in your avatar BTW. Are you also a microscopist?

The corals were bought from a guy who had them under t5 (not HO that i could notice). blue and purple bulbs. they're now under leds. i try to keep the intensity down near 30-40% white 50-60% blue (reef radiance). under light, they look okay... always thought they looked better under the t5. corals are relativity new (1-3months). ill post a pic when the lights go out.

as for the avatar- i work at the university of connecticut here at avery point in the marine science department ;) so i have my fair share of analyzing maaaaaany things. This was one of my favorites ( the pic was much larger but had to cut size to fit requirements).

I keep mine under led lights also. I noticed that if I look top down the corls all have much more color to them rather than looking from a low angle. It is due to the shadowing from led's I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
The corals were bought from a guy who had them under t5 (not HO that i could notice). blue and purple bulbs. they're now under leds. i try to keep the intensity down near 30-40% white 50-60% blue (reef radiance). under light, they look okay... always thought they looked better under the t5. corals are relativity new (1-3months). ill post a pic when the lights go out.

as for the avatar- i work at the university of connecticut here at avery point in the marine science department ;) so i have my fair share of analyzing maaaaaany things. This was one of my favorites ( the pic was much larger but had to cut size to fit requirements).

I also use a reef radiance light. I've noticed with this fixture you have to make sure you have a smooth transfer when corals are new to LEDs. If I get a single coral. I just put them in a shady spot and move them out into stronger/appropriate light over the course of a week or two.

If I get many corals, I turn my timers down to run the lights for five hours a day, then after a week add an hour every few days.

Archived