Pod Your Reef

Crashing Tank Halp

Aerixx

I am getting back into the hobby, so I decided a 20 gal long with a 10 gal sump was a good start, I didn't want to start from scratch, so I waited and bought a a guys livestock from his 8 month old stable tank, it included 4 pieces of SPS birds nests and a couple other fast growing SPS an Anemone and 6 leathers, some mushrooms and neon green canes, anyways I waited about 4 days before I kicked up my sump, the tank was great till then, I think the sump caused a mini cycle. After 2 days the leathers started leaning over, in about 4 days they where leaning over to the sand, and starting to die, I didn't take them out thinking they would make a comeback. I looked in the tank about a day after that and half of the SPS started looking bad, one birds best losing tissue, immediatly removed the Leathers and stuff continued to go south or just basically not look healthy. The remaining SPS is not looking great, I am in a mini cycle, how much water should I change? I did 5 gallons today, I want the water out but don't know the best way to clean up my mess, thanks

I would first test params, if bad big water change. If the params are showing normal I would assume something else is off and do a big water change anyways (make sure salinity and temp is sitting right ofc) could be a toxin we can't test for from stressed corals, could be something else that was disturbed when moving the rock and sand (like a dying sponge releasing toxins)

Deleted User 8

Perhaps something to do with the sump? Contamination from the pump, lines, tank? Anything dead or dying in your tank is bad. Remove to quarantine tank. Do big water change. Maybe 100%? Make sure it is well mixed and tha same salinity temp ph as the past owner had things at.

Buzz

Big would be enough to get an out of whack param back to normal. Say you have 200 nitrates, even a 90% water change is going to leave you with 20, a 100% is needed there. For untested stuff I would say 50% is a good starting point.

Deleted User 8

But make sure to mix up the fresh sw and let it sit at least 12 hours. Run a power head and heater.Aalways a good Idea to have a tub of fresh sw ready to go at most times. Especially new tanks. Maybe your local shop has some ready to go?

Also, with a 20 gal doing a 100% change is a good idea in situations like this IMO.

What were your test numbers?

Buzz

No need to let your SW sit for 12 hours......

As a matter of fact I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix and I use it right away.

Hope you get things turned around, I've been through a tank crash. Mine was due to heater exploding and nuked just about everything. Talk about a sick feeling.......

Yea I am pretty bummed, but the good news is it seems to be stabalizing at least in the short term, I have a Rodi and 10 gal mixed already so I'll get to work on some more and change it out, I don't remember the exact parameters offhand, but nothing to report that was off as far as ammonia or nitrates, since I coyly the leathers out and did a slight water change it seems better, but there is still some dead tissue on the side of the SPS in the direction of the flow, hopefully the 10gal water change will stabalize it more till I can mix the rest

Archived