Pod Your Reef

recommend easy-ish SPS

Idontknowz

I was looking to get some fairly easy colorful sticks. I have a green birdsnest, blue digi and 2 others that escape me, no problems keeping them alive. So would like to try a few more. Pretty and inexpensive I don't need a limited edition 200 dollar one of a kind or anything crazy!. Any suggestions and possibly a name of someone here who is a seller

I have one birdsnest and it's bulletproof, will definitely get a few more! Monti, are they all flat and encrusting? New to SPS, forgive my noobness

I have one birdsnest and it's bulletproof, will definitely get a few more! Monti, are they all flat and encrusting? New to SPS, forgive my noobness

Some are plating, and you need to watch out that nothing gets starved of light underneath. :]

No there are some that are branching or grow vertically - Also ck out Stylophora's and porcillpora's they have all done very good for me. Ck out my build thread below in my sig. They all do really well- still need to keep parameters in ck and as even as possible. Strong light, flow and feed regularly has worked for me. Millepora has also been doing well for me but not growing as fast as the others- which right now is good cause I am starting to fill up? My Bonsai Acro at the top is starting to take off now too?

I have 160w nanobox lighting and 2 rw-4 wave makers. i think (hope) I can pretty much do most corals pending my water stays good

Some are plating, and you need to watch out that nothing gets starved of light underneath. :]

I have 160w nanobox lighting and 2 rw-4 wave makers. i think (hope) I can pretty much do most corals pending my water stays good

Oh, I didn't mean your lights weren't sufficient! I meant that the coral will plate sideways (as some do) and create a shelf. It's great for non-photosynthetic corals like dendros under there, but not so great for the ones that need light.

Oh, I didn't mean your lights weren't sufficient! I meant that the coral will plate sideways (as some do) and create a shelf. It's great for non-photosynthetic corals like dendros under there, but not so great for the ones that need light.

Gotcha! that's actually a future question for me as I do have a big overhang that won't get much light underneath dendros were def on my list I was thinking Rics too? beyond that I was wondering

Gotcha! that's actually a future question for me as I do have a big overhang that won't get much light underneath dendros were def on my list I was thinking Rics too? beyond that I was wondering

Rics do need light, though I suppose you might even get enough PAR for them just from reflections against the glass.. :P

To add to what has already been said...

green psammocora

green slimer acro

setosa monitpora coral

All inexpensive... easy and brightly colored.

really??

well.. birds and monti's hate alk swings... plenty of acro's seem to be more forgiving with those.

I added a bunch of SPS the day my tank finished cycling (trial by fire)... the birds monti's did poorly while figuring out the dosing due to some minor alk swings but the acro's are doing amazing.. all encrusted and growing quickly. After some digging through forums... it seems that birds/monti's start going downhill before acro's from alk fluctuations.

I guess for me keeping nitrates/phosphate in line with good flow and lighting was easier than getting my alk to never move while the tank is very young. If I had to do it over, I would just add acro's until I got the alk solid.

Obviously no two acro's are the same and I am sure there are plenty of very sensitive ones. Mine are all frags from other reefers so they are used to tank life vs ocean life. I started with gulf live rock straight from the ocean as well.

thanks I'm gonna try a few acros,
Say, You have a lot of exp with mandarins. I have a spotted I've had for almost 2 years, it takes frozen and is healthy. could I do a green in the tank too or would they fight? I have a fuge that is pretty stocked with pods and macro. 40 gallon breeder, small yellow assessor, 2 oc clowns, purple firefish and a jerk watchman..
how about a red firefish would it coexist with a purple?

well.. birds and monti's hate alk swings... plenty of acro's seem to be more forgiving with those.

I added a bunch of SPS the day my tank finished cycling (trial by fire)... the birds monti's did poorly while figuring out the dosing due to some minor alk swings but the acro's are doing amazing.. all encrusted and growing quickly. After some digging through forums... it seems that birds/monti's start going downhill before acro's from alk fluctuations.

I guess for me keeping nitrates/phosphate in line with good flow and lighting was easier than getting my alk to never move while the tank is very young. If I had to do it over, I would just add acro's until I got the alk solid.

Obviously no two acro's are the same and I am sure there are plenty of very sensitive ones. Mine are all frags from other reefers so they are used to tank life vs ocean life. I started with gulf live rock straight from the ocean as well.

If those are growing well I'd say try what you like. Birdsnest IMO are easy because they grow so fast and frags are a dime a dozen so everyone has a cheap "starter frag". Try to find healthy aquacultured coral from a reputable source and you can't go wrong.

thanks I'm gonna try a few acros,

Say, You have a lot of exp with mandarins. I have a spotted I've had for almost 2 years, it takes frozen and is healthy. could I do a green in the tank too or would they fight? I have a fuge that is pretty stocked with pods and macro. 40 gallon breeder, small yellow assessor, 2 oc clowns, purple firefish and a jerk watchman..

how about a red firefish would it coexist with a purple?

My two males fight regardless of how well fed they are. No bad injuries though but some torn fins. I believe my spotted is a trouble maker.

For someone not dosing kalk or anything, (me) are acros still easier than birdsnest? I have a few different types of birdsnest doing extremely well but I'm not brave enough to try an acro.

For someone not dosing kalk or anything, (me) are acros still easier than birdsnest? I have a few different types of birdsnest doing extremely well but I'm not brave enough to try an acro.

Kalkwasser? I would think once you get to a certain amount of SPS or as they grow, you would have to dose to keep them growing well and happy regardless of what type.

Try some acros. Something like a Miami orchid is a fairly easy acro, and they grow like weeds. Most millies aren't too bad. That's not a scientific claim, just personal experience really.

Dosing is only needed when just doing water changes can't keep up with the demand of the corals.

Dosing is only needed when just doing water changes can't keep up with the demand of the corals.

+1, this :D

Keep an eye on alk/ca, ect and as you acquire coral... you will know when its time (alk mostly).

Gonna give it a go. do you dose your ATO or get a separate pump
derailing my own thread a little here. does anyone think a red and purple firefish could coexist in a 40 breeder?
I had the purple with a rainford goby (same body type) with no issues till I moved tanks and lost the goby due to lack of food for it

Archived