Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware "Spooky Mantis Mountain" REINJURED LEFT KNEE

aviator300

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Clarence is still holed up in his den molting i guess. I don't know how long it will take but I will be gone for awhile and my wife will be taking care of my tanks doing only the most basic care (feeding, top offs, monitoring, etc).

I have had bad knees since my Skydiving days. In addition to flying my plane, I also engaged in freefall parachuting for about 30 yrs which tore up my knees over the years and i am finally having both of them replaced this coming Wed 12/10/14. I will most likely be out of commision for several weeks so i'll check back in with all you guys after i've recovered a bit.

I hope i return to a healthy, happy Mantis when i get home. See y'all later. bye.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i just got home from the hospital a couple days ago. I had been anticipating a stay in rehab before returning home but physical therapy determined i was doing "too well" to qualify and the rehab facility agreed after reviewing my progress notes.

Not too bad for an old guy to be walking around the apartment complex independently only 8 days after having both knees totally replaced.

ON TO CLARENCE..

Seems like Clarence was having both his "Clubs" replaced at the same time my knees were being replaced because when i got home the other day, He had completed his molt and was out hunting as normal.

I wonder if he was worried about me while i was gone; i worried about him?

I cant get a pic yet of clarences new appendages, but here are pics of mine..

LEFT KNEE

http://s513.photobucket.com/user/fsuggs50/media/20141218_133024_zpsb5a98c5a.jpg.html'>20141218_133024_zpsb5a98c5a.jpg

RIGHT KNEE

http://s513.photobucket.com/user/fsuggs50/media/77d10601-2bea-4c67-b2d7-69e0e1eca69b_zps36abcd55.jpg.html'>77d10601-2bea-4c67-b2d7-69e0e1eca69b_zps

• 1 month later...

More problems....On Sat 1/24 I took a fall and fractured my left kneecap in half. The fall also tore the tendons and ligaments surrounding the kneecap loose.

I'm looking at further surgery and a lot more recovery time. I'm trying to hobble around on my right leg (which had it's knee replaced also) and care for my tanks which is painful and getting more difficult. I'm usually a very active guy and being housebound as well as in constant pain is taking a toll on me and my 3 tanks

I'm spending a lot of time following many of your threads and especially want to thank islandoftiki for his Hawaiian Adventures which is a treat for all of us i'm certain.

These threads that most of you guys post help me to keep a more positive attitude in light of what i'm experiencing right now.

I'll try to keep everyone updated. AVIATOR300

oh criminy! I'm cringing at the though of pain. Pain mgmnt and his videos will soothe.

They sure will soothe, as did Gerties video today. It really put a smile on my face...

Sorry to hear about your fall. Fingers crossed for a fast recovery and that you don't pull all of your hair out in the meantime.

Do you have anyone that can help out with the tanks?

Sorry to hear about your fall. Fingers crossed for a fast recovery and that you don't pull all of your hair out in the meantime.

Do you have anyone that can help out with the tanks?

My stepdaughter helps out but it's mostly in crisis situations and not timely, routine maintenance. An example is that i used to do WCs every 5 days but now, she's only able to help every other week. So i'm just trying to keep things alive until i'm healed rather than to keep things thriving.

My 5 gal PicO Aquariums Mantis tank leaked out 2 days ago from the right front corner and i have no idea why but Clarence is now living, NO, I should say surviving in a 1.8 gal Dymax IQ3 until i can get a larger tank back up and he's not happy.

I'm dealing right now with Chris from PicO Aquariums. I've only had the tank for about 5 months now. I don't want to publish anything about our dealings right now because he is working with me and i despise those folks who badmouth vendors without giving them a chance to make good first.

I'm bored and had nothing better to do so i thought i'd post some colorful pics of Clarences old home and the live rock i got from "Gulf Live Rock" to put in it..

P.S. Clarence is still in his little 1.8 gal prison cell while i'm trying to get a replacement tank.

I love the live rock from Gulf Live Rock.

6e704655-4701-4479-8c4d-b01a2e3eff0c_zps

7809b076-c584-44da-96f6-bdf344d4e275_zps

You know what.....I love the color but hate hitchikers like bubble algae, aptasia, etc (don't mind the animals) so i think i'll do something different on Clarences new tank (when i find one).

I will order LR from Gulf again very soon and then baby it with a soft cycle in a 5 gal AGA cheapo tank for a few weeks just so i can eliminate any bad hitchikers. I know some hard core, dyed in the wool LR advocates who have thrown away LR because of bad Nems, algae, or Bryopsis so i'm going to start a trend (maybe) of quarantining my LR which would then be much easier to treat if needed in a QT.

Whatcha think?

• 2 weeks later...

Chris will make everything alright. :) He's good about that.

I'm not holding my breath.....

Further news......I came out to check on Clarence this morning in his 1.8 gal temp home and he had passed away. I have no idea why except that he died from the stress of his cramped quarters while waiting for Chris at PicO to make good on a replacement tank which i'm not holding my breath on despite much communication with him. So Mr Horerczy, i'm beginning to disagree with your quote. (if you want details, PM me) :tears:

Oh no, sorry to hear about Clarence, that's disappointing. How are your legs healing up? Hopefully that situation will be resolved. I've never worked w/ them so I have no idea though.

I'm not holding my breath.....

Further news......I came out to check on Clarence this morning in his 1.8 gal temp home and he had passed away. I have no idea why except that he died from the stress of his cramped quarters while waiting for Chris at PicO to make good on a replacement tank which i'm not holding my breath on despite much communication with him. So Mr Horerczy, i'm beginning to disagree with your quote. (if you want details, PM me) :tears:

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that.

Oh no, sorry to hear about Clarence, that's disappointing. How are your legs healing up? Hopefully that situation will be resolved. I've never worked w/ them so I have no idea though.

I'm alone in the world now since my wife left the other day and im in a full leg immobilizer (can't drive). walking and standing is difficult.

I see the surgeon about the knee fracture on Thursday so dont know if i need surgery yet. They wanted to x-ray again after 4 weeks to see if any spontaneous healing has occurred. As far as PicO Aquariums go, I will reserve any opinions on that until i see what the resoslution is but to date, i have no replacement after a month of trying and communicating.

Archived