Cultivated Reef

iTzJu's Rimless Shallow 30 Gallon

itzju

Hi Everyone,

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Judeo, I am 26 and currently residing in NJ. I have been a member here for a while now, but just been a spectator of sorts. I mostly kept larger tanks in the past and regretfully I wasn't very active in the "nano reef" community.

From what I have observed though, this seems like a very awesome, close-knit community. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute somehow and possibly make some new friends! I also like the fact that a lot of members here are very creative in other ways. Some of the signatures here are awesome and makes me want to tap back into Photoshop. lol

Anyway... on to what you guys really want to know about, "The Build" (Clever name still in the works)

Equipment:

Deep Blue 30 Gallon Rimless Frag Tank

Deep Blue Series II Stand

Neptune Apex Full Controller

Kessil A360WE

DIY De-Rimmed Baffled 10 Gallon Sump

SeaSide Aquatics ES5 Skimmer

Jebao DC3000

Jebao DP4 Doser

Jebao WP10 x 2 Controlled via Apex Adapter

TLF Media Reactor

Hydor Theo 150w x 2 Heaters

30lbs MarcoRock Coarse Sand

50lbs Reefcleaners Dry Dock

The Plan:

My plans for this tank is to be mixed reef, but heavily SPS dominated. Due to the size constraint the corals going in will definitely go through several "Do I really want this in my tank" thought process. lol I want to keep this tank simple, efficient, and very well thought out. My past tanks have always been more on the spur of the moments type builds and although I have had success, I want to keep this one as simple as possible.

I do apologize for the lack of photos, I know this thread is useless without them. Pictures are coming though. All equipment is on hand, just looking for the right weekend to begin the plumbing!

Awesome man!!! Welcome to the community. Like you said, there's a bunch of great people here filled with valuable information!

I love these tanks, every time I see a new one pop up it makes me sad I couldn't go larger! One day! Haha!

Looking forward to this build, I love SPS dominated tanks (hence why I'm going down that way)

Awesome man!!! Welcome to the community. Like you said, there's a bunch of great people here filled with valuable information!

I love these tanks, every time I see a new one pop up it makes me sad I couldn't go larger! One day! Haha!

Looking forward to this build, I love SPS dominated tanks (hence why I'm going down that way)

Thanks for the welcome and yeah, looking forward into discussing reef with a bunch of new people.

haha, i'm actually going the opposite. im going from larger to smaller. my previous tank was a deep blue 80 gallon frag tank. loved the tank even though it was short lived.

love your car man! im actually thinking of getting a subie for my next car or even an older GC8 body for the winter.

I'm thinking of going with the same tank. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

can't go wrong with this tank, i think. the dimensions are awesome in my opinion. i think finding that sweet spot in terms of lighting would be the most difficult thing due to the shallowness.

Looking good, what are the dimensions?

Thanks! hopefully i can have some pics up by this weekend if i can find some free time. the dimensions are 24x24x12

Following... Did u make a thread over on NJRC?

Sure did man! dont really have pics to post yet so, no major update. really wanted to just introduce myself and my upcoming build!

Sure did man! dont really have pics to post yet so, no major update. really wanted to just introduce myself and my upcoming build!

Oh wow, idk how i missed it. Well following anyway, looks like a good plan.

I just picked this up from Fish-Street for my Jebao pumps.

apexcrossjebao_1.jpg

I already have a JBWave, but if i can consolidate the amount of controllers needed, i'm definitely all for it.

Following along! I'm building a tank with similar dimensions and can't wait to see how yours turns out

I can't wait to see how it turns out too!

do you have a link to your build? would love to follow along on yours too.

--------------------

just got confirmation from fish-street that the module has shipped.. 10-14 days wait.. omgomgomg

Anyone have experience painting a stand with plasti-dip?

I purchased the stand second hand so there are some scuffs on it that i would love to paint over.

i was thinking doing a couple coats of black plasti-dip and a textured coat of their glossifier to give it a satin finish.

thoughts?

Moving in with the gal and debating on this exact tank. I need to see if I can track one down locally. It's a tough decision when planning a build / upgrade.

I just picked this up from Fish-Street for my Jebao pumps.

apexcrossjebao_1.jpg

I already have a JBWave, but if i can consolidate the amount of controllers needed, i'm definitely all for it.

Can you let us know what you think of this product when you get it? I have been thinking about ordering one.

Can you let us know what you think of this product when you get it? I have been thinking about ordering one.

will do, i am assuming it's just like the DIY cables but with a nice enclosure. lol

Have you had the Kessil over it yet? How's the coverage?

I have not yet, but I had the Kessil over a 24x24x20 Tank before and the coverage was good. I doubt with the height of this tank i will be having the intensity of the Kessil over 50%.

I will probably plumb this Sunday, i'll take pictures then.

will do, i am assuming it's just like the DIY cables but with a nice enclosure. lol

Yeah, that's what I assume. I am weary of DIY stuff with my Apex though. Use something with the wrong power/connection and you can fry it pretty easily I've read.

I have not yet, but I had the Kessil over a 24x24x20 Tank before and the coverage was good. I doubt with the height of this tank i will be having the intensity of the Kessil over 50%.

I will probably plumb this Sunday, i'll take pictures then.

How high did you have it over the old tank?

Yeah, that's what I assume. I am weary of DIY stuff with my Apex though. Use something with the wrong power/connection and you can fry it pretty easily I've read.

Fully understood, there were moments where i thought i fried my Apex. I plugged in a wireless client adapter to one of the USBs for power source, heard a small spark and smelled something burnt. That's when i remembered I read to not plug anything in the USBs that's not a Apex module. lol the Apex wasn't damage, but the wireless bridge died immediately.

How high did you have it over the old tank?

I would say about 6" - 8" over the tank and spread was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates on this.. I've just been really busy lately and cant find a day to just dedicate to plumbing this set up.

I did finish baffling up the sump which is one step closer.

anywho... here is a pic of my current 40b that's been holding me down till i set this one up.

IMG_20141026_223958.jpg

sorry for the picture quality, this was taken with my phone.

I've been tossing the idea of retrofitting T5s with my Kessil 360W.

what do you guys think? would it be overkill for a 12" deep tank?

I've been tossing the idea of retrofitting T5s with my Kessil 360W.

what do you guys think? would it be overkill for a 12" deep tank?

Go full T5... lol

Archived