Top Shelf Aquatics

My brittle sea star ate Mr. Whiskers! WHY?

Han Solo

:(

Well after having my cleaner shrimp Mr. Whiskers for six months, and the brittle star for at least 4, he decided the eat the shrimp. This is what I came back to so I do not know if perhaps the shrimp died first and the sea star stumbled upon him. It's hard to do the sea star, but it's on the rock, directly behind the shrimp (upside down).

Actually it's really hard to see him.. blurry purple thing above the shrimp's body

Maybe he was just hungry...

kV1PueK.jpg

This was supposed to be in the invertebrate forum; mod move it please?

I have a green one, and they are absolutely predatory. You have to target feed them a couple times a week or they will grab what they can. I feed mine silversides, squid, and lump crab meat. This is generally not a reef safe star, but can be if kept if target fed regularly.

The shrimp might have been molting which made it vulnerable. Any brittle sea star can be predatory and having them in smaller nano aquariums only makes their job of catching and eating inverts and fish easier. I'm sorry to hear about Whiskers would certainly feed your brittle star more from now on. Best of luck.

Archived