ReefCleaners.org

Nano Food Cubes DIY [save money, time and have healthier diets]

ps2cho

My amazon package just arrived, so here we go!

step 1) $9 mini cube tray that came in a 100% Japanese wrapper off amazon. (link) This one has a LID. You can get them for $5, but we need a lid to keep it fresh and without freezer burn)

step 2) combine what you need depending on type of fish. I am doing a full mix since I have 2 tangs.

step 3) ???

step 4) profit (mine are now freezing)

I should now be able to remove myself completely off flake food since the only reason that myself, (AND IM SURE OTHERS) do not feed frozen food often is because the cubes are way too much food for a nano tank. If you have a 100g tank then its probably perfect. The rest of us end up with wasted food.

nanocubes.jpg

nanocubes2.jpg

This article has some insight on why thawing/freezing the food is bad: http://fusedjaw.com/food-and-nutrition/frozen-mysis-part-1-the-quest-for-quality-mysis/

So it'd be good to skip the prepared foods and take a trip to the local seafood store, no? Food processor it up, and add vitamins/selcon/other awesome stuff? The tiny cubes are a good idea, though I'm not convinced it's better than flat packs inside zip lock bags.

jedimasterben

So it'd be good to skip the prepared foods and take a trip to the local seafood store, no? Food processor it up, and add vitamins/selcon/other awesome stuff? The tiny cubes are a good idea, though I'm not convinced it's better than flat packs inside zip lock bags.

Correct, as long as that 'fresh' food hasn't been frozen and thawed :)

I've done it before, it made a very large amount of food that I couldn't have fed even my tank before it went bad (which took about two months of being frozen at 0F with no thawing). But, I also do not eat seafood at all, so if I did, I would have eaten 4/5 of what I bought and had a good meal with the missus and used the remaining 1/5 of it to feed the fishies until it went bad.

Its probably still better than feeding flake food...

Maybe once I am all used up on this stuff I will start making my own food from fresh seafood. I think each of those frozen packages is about $8-10 each....I bet I can get a pound mix bag of seafood for $10 which when blended would make 6 months worth of food.

Its probably still better than feeding flake food...

Maybe once I am all used up on this stuff I will start making my own food from fresh seafood. I think each of those frozen packages is about $8-10 each....I bet I can get a pound mix bag of seafood for $10 which when blended would make 6 months worth of food.

I stopped at my local Wegmans and from what they sold by weight, picked out a couple of clams/mussels, a scallop, a slice of squid, some shrimp, etc. I mixed that up with seaweed, NLS pellets, small-sized roe, vita-chem, selcon, garlic extract, etc. Everything in the tank goes crazy for it.

Yeah probably better to do the fresh thing than thaw the frozen.

Make a diy for the fresh stuff. Explaining where and how much you bought everything for and how you process it. I'll be on the lookout for that!

I stopped at my local Wegmans and from what they sold by weight, picked out a couple of clams/mussels, a scallop, a slice of squid, some shrimp, etc. I mixed that up with seaweed, NLS pellets, small-sized roe, vita-chem, selcon, garlic extract, etc. Everything in the tank goes crazy for it.

Sweet! Care to share how you made it and about how much was it?? :)

Yeah probably better to do the fresh thing than thaw the frozen.

Make a diy for the fresh stuff. Explaining where and how much you bought everything for and how you process it. I'll be on the lookout for that!

Sweet! Care to share how you made it and about how much was it?? :)

Seems like more trouble than it's worth. Bet you only do this once.

I think I spent maybe $20 or so on the seafood? I definitely don't have the stocking levels necessary to warrant that much food, though, because it probably made about five or six ziplock bags and it's been months and I'm still on the first one.

You can literally just dip the food in RO/DI to rinse it, then throw it all in a food processor. Make sure the pieces are small enough for the mouths of what you're feeding. :]

jedimasterben

I think I spent maybe $20 or so on the seafood? I definitely don't have the stocking levels necessary to warrant that much food, though, because it probably made about five or six ziplock bags and it's been months and I'm still on the first one.

The rest of the food is probably bad by now. It takes a normal chest freezer to keep stuff cold enough to get it to last 6-8 months, in a normal freezer it seems around 2-4 months is the limit, depending on how much the door is opened.

The rest of the food is probably bad by now. It takes a normal chest freezer to keep stuff cold enough to get it to last 6-8 months, in a normal freezer it seems around 2-4 months is the limit, depending on how much the door is opened.

Yehp, I didn't have anyone to give the food to so I threw out the rest and am working on getting through this bit. :]

Archived