Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coral from beach into tank

MauiJ

Hi All,

New here. Dad and I starting up (again) a JBJ 3 gallon just for some fun. We found some pieces of coral on the beach in Hawaii and managed to carry them back with us to the east coast. Two of them are clearly dead, however, one had some algae on it when found (red and green). We just set it up last night and put the sand, water and corals in to cycle. Should these be treated any differently? Should we expect any life to kick in on the piece with algae? Or will the ~ 1.5 week its been out of the ocean be long enough to kill everything on it?

Thanks!

why the #### would you even bother bringing it if you did not even have a tank ready to put them in? Coral have a hard time surviving 1-3 days shipping, and on top of that you are putting them in an uncycled tank?

No shit everything will be dead.

I think he meant he has coral skeletons and one of them has algae on it. I don't believe he thought that the coral would actually be alive if he has it out of the water for a week and a half.

Hi All,

New here. Dad and I starting up (again) a JBJ 3 gallon just for some fun. We found some pieces of coral on the beach in Hawaii and managed to carry them back with us to the east coast. Two of them are clearly dead, however, one had some algae on it when found (red and green). We just set it up last night and put the sand, water and corals in to cycle. Should these be treated any differently? Should we expect any life to kick in on the piece with algae? Or will the ~ 1.5 week its been out of the ocean be long enough to kill everything on it?

Thanks!

There may be some spores that are still alive in the one with algae. Either way, you are going to have some funky smells coming off of it once it is in the tank. Prepare for a hard cycle.

why the #### would you even bother bringing it if you did not even have a tank ready to put them in? Coral have a hard time surviving 1-3 days shipping, and on top of that you are putting them in an uncycled tank?

No need to bite the guys head off man, I'm pretty sure he knows the coral is already dead.

Well that was a very insightful, helpful post.

No need to bite the guys head off man, I'm pretty sure he knows the coral is already dead.

Indeed I do know that :lol: , was just wondering if the cycle would be much different. They were dried out and further back on the beach. So, yeah. Dead.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Expect to see some life, but nothing major I would expect.

A 3g tank is really small and bad things can happen fast. Maybe you can clean off the rock and use it as an ornamental piece?

petkingdom619

I say put it in and just let the tank sit a little longer than usual. Its memories that you van put in your tank

Archived