ReefCleaners.org

10g, BTA, it is possible, but what is the best approach?

Steelen

Hey guys,

Been a member for a while, had several plans last year. Didn't go with it as I am currently in the process of packing my bags and fly to Florida (moving across the world). Fiancee green lit a 10 gallon as it will fit in her room (temporary living solution till I find a fulltime job so that we can get an apartment).

Here are the tank thoughts:

• 10 gallan tank (maybe a bit bigger like 11.4 by Mr. Aqua)
  • Kessil A160 (rumored to be released later this month/early next)
  • Weekly water changes

Here is my following thought process after talking to several experienced reefers (friend who owns a 1000g tank and a 50 gallon BTA tank):

1. Get the tank settled
  2. Add clown #1
  3. Add clown #2
  4. Get the tank stable again
  5. Add BTA (small so that it can grow with the the hobby)
  6. Maintain stability
  7. Add other corals slowly

With this I hope 6-8 months has passed, we got our own place and I can upgrade to a 20+ gallon tank and maybe keep the 10 gallon for a BTA only.

Is this the best approach?

I have been looking at several posts where people have around the same gallon sizes (i.e. scorched) and noticed theirs barely moved or haven't moved at all after being added. Now I realize this all depends on a lot of factors (water quality, feeding patterns etc). I would like your feedback and tips on this. I haven't purchased anything just trying to get feedback from the nano community.

you forgot hide all powerheads so the nem wont make soup in your tank.... Have had it happen in tanks 20 gallons or less a few times and had a couple just wither away for no apparent reason. Last two times was on a 20 gallon with a kessil 150W that was up and running for 8 months first time and 15 months second time. They usually move quite a bit, for me anyways.... Have never been lucky and just had one settle in and be happy. Always wanted one but gave up on the idea... good luck to you and I hope it works out for you

I know this isn't popular opinion but I feel a pair of clowns would be stressed later in life in a 10g.

They won't stay in the 10 gallon. Once I get a full time job and an apartment we will put them in a 20+ gallon tank.

I hope to get young small clowns that way they aren't too stressed. And as the tank evolves they will evolve with it.

I have had a bubble tip in a 38 gallon tank for about 3 months it started out small about the size of my fist, and now is nearly as big as a dinner plate when fully extended. I would say wait on the bubble tip until you have a larger tank. I am glad mine found a place on the rocks so it can drape over them otherwise I would have to get rid of it.

They won't stay in the 10 gallon. Once I get a full time job and an apartment we will put them in a 20+ gallon tank.

I hope to get young small clowns that way they aren't too stressed. And as the tank evolves they will evolve with it.

Sorry to be that guy again. Buy livestock for the tank you have not the tank you want. Tank upgrades are often alot slower and costly than most of us realize, and life has a way of ####ing up plans. Never forget you are putting life into the tank you become the sole care taker for.

I'm sure alot of people on this forum however are 100% ok with your plans without the tank upgrade, so you can take my advice or leave it :)

I have had a bubble tip in a 38 gallon tank for about 3 months it started out small about the size of my fist, and now is nearly as big as a dinner plate when fully extended. I would say wait on the bubble tip until you have a larger tank. I am glad mine found a place on the rocks so it can drape over them otherwise I would have to get rid of it.

It does depend on the situation and the nem. I bought one RBTA for my 20L that split 11 times and none of them ever got bigger than a small 5" diamater plate. Could be that the 20L just wasn't big enough for them to not get stressed and split to remain happy. I gave one to my father who enlarged to the size of yours before splitting, and that was a 75g.

Sorry to be that guy again. Buy livestock for the tank you have not the tank you want. Tank upgrades are often alot slower and costly than most of us realize, and life has a way of ####ing up plans. Never forget you are putting life into the tank you become the sole care taker for.

I'm sure alot of people on this forum however are 100% ok with your plans without the tank upgrade, so you can take my advice or leave it :)

I get your point and I will take your advice into consideration. Won't be a while till I purchase anything anyway as I am still in the Netherlands. It is a life we take care of.

But I know for a fact it will be upgraded the moment we find an apartment. I have about $10k in savings that I don't have to spend at all. I'll be living with my fiancee's parents as I am immigrating. So I can upgrade to a larger tank the moment we find an apartment. My fiancee knows that around $2000 is meant for a bigger tank and she wants a bigger one. A family friend of hers, donated us a 75, 55 and a gallon tank and is holding it so I can get settled.

The 10 gallon items will be tailored towards that big tank upgrade where I will use the 75g or 55g and the 20g for sump. It will be for a 6 month period and probably even less where the fish will be a in a smaller tank. If it will take longer I'll try and return it or give it to a local reefer. It is not that I am blind and set on the idea of two fish and a BTA. Just trying to get some feedback while I plan several setups and this is one of them as it is the dream of my fiancee.

Personally for this size would do a goby/pistol duo as I think those are more fascinating as a couple.

BTA's grow really fast, I bought a small one and it double in size in a few months.

Also if the BTA is really small and it hosts your clowns, clowns can actually kill small nem's from all their pestering. I'm assuming since it is a 10g and they grow fast... you would want the smallest possible so this could be a real problem.

reefernanoman

It's my understanding that in order to even try to keep an anemone, your tank has to be running for at least 6 months or more. Furthermore, two clowns in such a small tank would not be ideal either. Good luck.

Everything sounds good, but instead of getting the 10g then upgrading, why don't you just start off with the 20g from the start? I'm sure your lighting will be just fine, filtration and pumps wouldn't be much more expensive either. You are going to be addicted to the hobby and you'll want to upgrade ASAP! aha.

Just a thought!

I really wish I could, but her room is too small. But I will have to look at it and convince her. I really want that IM Fusion 20g!

I really wish I could, but her room is too small. But I will have to look at it and convince her. I really want that IM Fusion 20g!

The difference between a 10g and IM Fusion is only a couple inches. If you have space for a 10g then you probably have space for a IM Fusion.

The difference between a 10g and IM Fusion is only a couple inches. If you have space for a 10g then you probably have space for a IM Fusion.

I just grabbed the different sizes (I am european so not sure how it all translates but i have to learn american sizes anyway):

• Deep blue 10 gallon (L 20" W 10" H 12")
  • Mr. Aqua 11.4 (L 23.6 W 11.8 H 14.2")
  • IM Nuvo Fusion 20g (L 24" W 15" H13")

The four inches is a big difference.

I will have to look at the table she wants to put it at when I get there. Dont know the actual size of that yet. I will have her measure it.

If not I will have her dad build a new one (he is a carpenter so he will get a kick out of it).

Archived