Innovative Marine Aquariums

orange spot diamond goby acting weird?

Nano tanker Nick

Nano tanker Nick

I have an orange spot diamond goby I have had him for a little under a week so far. He is in a 40 breeder by himself. Water parameters are as follows:

Sal: 1.026

ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: ~10-15

Ph: 7.8

I feed him dry hatchery diet pellets once a day. I just put them in a pippet and squeeze it in front of him and he just opens his mouth and lets them go in then searches the sand bed for an hour trying to find more lol. Tonight he has started acting different. Laying in the front of the tank on the bottom looking like he is breathing heavy. Then he will swim to the top and try and jump (I have a screen on top because he jumped twice first day I got him. Threw him right back in both times) I recently added cheato yesterday but I think that is unrelated. Tank has moderate to high flow. Anything i'm missing here. I have been working to get nitrates down but I feel they are higher because he is stirring up the sand bed. Anything I should be worried about or is this normal behavior? Thanks.

It could possibly be the nitrates causing the issue. What is your tank's temperature? Also what size tank is it? and how long has it been setup?

Nano tanker Nick

It could possibly be the nitrates causing the issue. What is your tank's temperature? Also what size tank is it? and how long has it been setup?

Tank sits about 78-80 degrees. It's a 40 breeder with a deeper crushed sand bed. It has been set up for 2 and a half months now. So you think it's him just mixing up the sand that is causing him the stress?

If the fish has labored breathing id make sure you are getting a good amount of oxygenation in the water by surface water agitation, and water movement. 10-15 on mitrates isn't cause for alarm, I'd venture to guess since its a newer tank with a light bioload you should start to see those numbers come down naturally. What else is in the tank besides the fish?

Nitrates shouldn't be a problem that low. My thought would also be oxygen. Try pointing a power head at the surface to get water moving there and cause more oxygenation, just remember this will increase evap as well.

And if you like how the tank flows go and get like a little cheap power head from Petco like 10$ and just have it pointing straight at the surface to help agaitate the water.Or of you have a sump put it in there as that won't make your tank crowded and that water goes right back into the tank anyways.

Nano tanker Nick

If the fish has labored breathing id make sure you are getting a good amount of oxygenation in the water by surface water agitation, and water movement. 10-15 on mitrates isn't cause for alarm, I'd venture to guess since its a newer tank with a light bioload you should start to see those numbers come down naturally. What else is in the tank besides the fish?

It has 4 snails and 2 hermits and a small gsp and a zoa frag.

Nitrates shouldn't be a problem that low. My thought would also be oxygen. Try pointing a power head at the surface to get water moving there and cause more oxygenation, just remember this will increase evap as well.

I have an mp-10 on 100% reefcrest mode, sump with a psk150 skimmer, cheato and rio 3100+ return pump.

And if you like how the tank flows go and get like a little cheap power head from Petco like 10$ and just have it pointing straight at the surface to help agaitate the water.Or of you have a sump put it in there as that won't make your tank crowded and that water goes right back into the tank anyways.

Flow sounds adequate just make sure the fliw is disrupting top of water. Your nitrates should start dropping once bacteria starts blooming. The addition of the fish kick started a mini cycle. Get some pics up, much easier to help that way.

Nano tanker Nick

Flow sounds adequate just make sure the fliw is disrupting top of water. Your nitrates should start dropping once bacteria starts blooming. The addition of the fish kick started a mini cycle. Get some pics up, much easier to help that way.

Its pretty ripply up there. I took a video but it would let me upload it. I'll try and get a couple pictures up in the next 15 minutes.

Nano tanker Nick

First pic is goby chillen in one of his burrows, second the ripple on top of the water, and third full tank.

post-43253-0-09994100-1413238403_thumb.jpg

post-43253-0-33301600-1413238415_thumb.jpg

post-43253-0-52559100-1413238424_thumb.jpg

The fish is certainly being stressed by something. Have you noticed any loss of color, ragged fins, bloating or anything else possibly on the body of the goby? I'm thinking possible virus, bacterial infection, or parasite such as flukes. Try testing your ph again as I have witnessed fish with this same behavior when the ph is too low or high. Is there a presence of any other heavy metals in the water?

On another note, try feeding the goby mysis and brine shrimp as it is a carnivor and loves these types of meaty foods. Could help strengthen its immune system.

Nano tanker Nick

The fish is certainly being stressed by something. Have you noticed any loss of color, ragged fins, bloating or anything else possibly on the body of the goby? I'm thinking possible virus, bacterial infection, or parasite such as flukes. Try testing your ph again as I have witnessed fish with this same behavior when the ph is too low or high. Is there a presence of any other heavy metals in the water? On another note, try feeding the goby mysis and brine shrimp as it is a carnivor and loves these types of meaty foods. Could help strengthen its immune system.

Alright. I'll try and pick up some frozen foods this week. Fish looks fine and is hiding in his many holes again so it's hard to get a good look at him but he looks the same as when I bought him as far as I can tell. Just fed him again today and ate every piece I put in the tank. If anything else changes i'll be sure to post about it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived