inTank Media Baskets

My 3g slice of the ocean

Joaly

Thank you guys , yes the corals are doing pretty good. The corals are doing pretty good in the stock lighting but planing to upgrade it. Any ideas how the ebay lamps are ?http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131316881460

its good to hear the corals are ok under the stock lighting. i have the same tank and people on here say i should upgrade the light. Like you, i do plan to upgrade but not right away so its good to hear youre having success!

• 3 weeks later...

Very best and yet relatively inexpensive light you can get for that tank is a "Coral Compulsion" PAR 30 14W bulb in either 18K or 22K for a bluer look. It screws into any desklamp socket and will support any coral you may want in the 3 gal tank (except maybe the highest light requiring SPS.

59.95 + about 7bucks shipping.. Use the stock light and save up for this one because if you get one of those cheap chinese jobs you will want something else in a hurry. Just my humble opinion.

I really like this one but out of my budget

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161321118676

Only one I would get in my opinion, you will regret the others. This is a very decent build, coming from someone who has only ever done his own LED builds. I would buy this light if I didn't already have leftover LEDs from other builds for my upcoming Pico.

Only one I would get in my opinion, you will regret the others. This is a very decent build, coming from someone who has only ever done his own LED builds. I would buy this light if I didn't already have leftover LEDs from other builds for my upcoming Pico.

This one is also one of those cheap Chinese jobs; it just costs more.

The Coral Compulsion bulbs are recognized by this and other reef forums as being well built, professional grade LED reef lights. and Coral Compulsion is also one of our sponsors on this forum.

CC has great corals and great lights. The lights they sell are, just like cree and phillips, made in China and are just of a different quality. I judge a light by the drivers and LEDs that are used. I will probably either go with the CC Par 30 for my eco pico I might be picking up soon next week.

Let us know what you go with!

Thank you everybody for your input . Trying to stay in a budget , even tho I like one of the lights from ebay

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161321118676

But I think I will go with par 30 from coral compulsion but then I need to get the clamp which totals to 120 dollars

So either I use the par 30 bulb with an ikea stand which will look awkward where I have my tank right now ,

I also met this seller , his built is pretty good

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=331317506199

Thank you all , appreciate ur responses

• 5 months later...

Hi guys , update on my tank . Everything doing great but nothing grows in my pico from the past 6 months

What light did you end up using?

Yeah, par30 &38 bulbs are meant to be 8-12" off the top of the tank, otherwise you'll burn everything. Glad to hear you moved it up. My par 38 sits 9.5" off the lid and the nearest sps is 13" from the light. Mushrooms, frogspawn, gsp, acans on the bottom.

Yeah, par30 &38 bulbs are meant to be 8-12" off the top of the tank, otherwise you'll burn everything. Glad to hear you moved it up. My par 38 sits 9.5" off the lid and the nearest sps is 13" from the light. Mushrooms, frogspawn, gsp, acans on the bottom.

Thank you for your input Flowermama. I never used a par bulb before and wasn't sure about it . I bet that's the reason I I haven't seen any growth in my corals.

Thank you for your input Flowermama. I never used a par bulb before and wasn't sure about it . I bet that's the reason I I haven't seen any growth in my corals

Yeah, they're strong lights. Lifting it up gives the best spectrum spread.

My Vivid Rainbows grew fast, my beautiful mushroom split into 3, sps colored up. I was actually putting that craft plastic canvas on the top to dampen it since mine has no dimmer. The sps were in the back so I didn't use the plastic except for the front 3/4 of the tank & let the brightest light hit the sps. I just recently moved my maxima clam that was 2/3" when I got her and she grew to like 1.5" in there in a year.

None of my corals have multiplied from the past few months and I hope everything will bloom . Thank you for the advice , really appreciate it .

• 3 weeks later...
Reefkid88

Things may not be growing because how close your light is to the tank. I'd raise it to about 8-10" over the tank and center it over the tank.

And the best filter would be a AquaClear 50-110. If it's too much flow,you can always cut a fin off of the impeller and slow it down some.

Would that be the same thing for LED strips that can be dimmed still having them 8-10" off the tank or will the dimming be enough?

Archived