Top Shelf Aquatics

RODI operating faster than intended? Am I running the water too fast

SonRK

Well I just finished up drying my basement that got flooded. It was manageable though, so I'm not too pissed about it.

Basically I have a 75GPD RODI system that I got from BRS. I always understood it that it could make 75 gallons per day running at max, so that's 3.125 gallons an hour.

I turned on my faucet (I use the little tip thing) and set my alarm for 5.5 hours in an empty 20 gallon garbage can. My alarm went off, went downstairs and saw water leaking a room over. Instantly ran to turn it off and by the time I was done, I had soaked up about 5 gallons of excess water that I strained into a bucket. So there was probably a bit more than that.

Does this mean I should lower the flow of water into the system? Normally I don't setup a full trashcan worth of RODI water, but I felt like being ahead of the game for a month (30 gallon tank, 10% water changes + auto top off reservoir) Maybe this is why I'm having a weird algae breakout recently, maybe the water is going too fast in the system and not being properly removing contaminants.

Is the [correct] flow restrictor installed? Instead of using a timer, you might consider a float valve in your container. I'd also test the TDS leaving the RO unit to be sure it is operating efficiently, if not, then that is a symptom of some other condtion (low feed pressure, flow restrictor problem, etc).

The water could be from the waste water drain/line. Make sure you're not filling your trash can with the waste water line, and make sure the waste water line is going into a drain.

The water could be from the waste water drain/line. Make sure you're not filling your trash can with the waste water line, and make sure the waste water line is going into a drain.

Black line goes down the sink, and the Blue line (nonwaste) is going in the can @_@.

edit - reference:

http://cdn.bulkreefsupply.com/media/wysiwyg/PDFs/Value%20Series%20-%20Web.pdf

this is the manual for the one I have. Value one on the top left

Black line goes down the sink, and the Blue line (nonwaste) is going in the can @_@.

Test your TDS out of the line you think is your non waste. Make sure the DI isn't getting by passed this will make the RODI fill jugs faster.

75 GPD is at 77 degrees water temperature and 50 psi inlet pressure. If your water is warm and/or your pressure higher than 50 psi your GPD will change. Another thing that can affect the GPD is restricting the waste to less than 4:1 waste ratio which is not advised unless you have lower than normal tap TDS and softened water.

To troubleshoot the system start by testing your water temperature and water pressure. Do not try to temper or blend hot and cold with an RO membrane, this is the quickest way there is to ruin a RO membrane. Cold water treats better than warm water and will make your DI last longer so cold water ONLY.

Next test your tap water TDS, RO only TDS before the DI and your finished RO/DI TDS.

Measure your waste ratio using a measuring cup and clock or watch for exactly one minute, first from the waste line then from the treated line. It should be very close to 4:1 or 4 times as much waste as treated in the same 1 minute period.

What are the results of all of the above?

Test your TDS out of the line you think is your non waste. Make sure the DI isn't getting by passed this will make the RODI fill jugs faster.

Recommend any one in particular to purchase? It's probably one of the last things I needed to buy, but always trusted my less than 6 month old RODI.

-edit-

Not going to bump up my post for a useless reply, but I will buy a tester and report back with my findings! (10-13-2014)

HM Digital TDS-3, a step up would be the TDS-4TM or the AP-1 all at around $20-$25. Top of the line is the HM Digital COM-100 at maybe $50 but it is much more sensitive and can reliably test TDS down to tenths of a ppm.

Be careful on ebay as there are knock offs and clones which look identical but sell for as low as $9. Buy from a reputable vendor so you are assured it is the real deal.

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Update timeeee....

I picked up the TDS-4TM and checked the TDS of my sink water, water in the reservoir, and water freshly from the RO/DI machine.

sink: 200ppm

reservoir: 20ppm

collected freshly from the device: 0ppm

I also ordered replacement filter/carbon, etc. but it seems that it won't be necessary.

So my trash cans seem to leech out some TDS, but 20ppm doesn't seem TOO bad, right:?

You could have salt residue in the storage can. Give it a good rinse with distilled white vinegar then another with some RO/DI and it should clean it out.

Archived