Innovative Marine Aquariums

Basic question

Jaysharky

Hey, I'am a bit of a newbie and have a few questions,

I have a 13l dymax IQ5 , haven't got the nano skimmer for it but it arrives next week. I have live rock and sand plus a cinnamon clownfish and a yellow tailed damsel. They are both very healthy. I have no power heads apart from the one coming from the filter compartment. Do I need one to keep corals? It's currently pointing out the tank so it oxygenates the water. Thanks. Jay

Had a look, and think that there is enough flow from the stock pump. Just bought an anemone and 3 zoas. They seem happy, they have the stock pump blowing on them, is that ok?

Jay

Had a look, and think that there is enough flow from the stock pump. Just bought an anemone and 3 zoas. They seem happy, they have the stock pump blowing on them, is that ok? Jay

Anemone, or mushroom? If Anemone, what type?

Had a look, and think that there is enough flow from the stock pump. Just bought an anemone and 3 zoas. They seem happy, they have the stock pump blowing on them, is that ok? Jay

Anemones tend to be high skill unless you got a rock anemone or a Maxi Mini. Most of them do require high light and mixed flow.

Not trying to bite your head off, but just give you a word of caution. Those fish are going to be very cramped in a 13 liter tank. I wouldn't suggest doing any more than 1 fish, and neither of the ones you listed would be a fish I would suggest. Also, the damsel tends to be somewhat aggressive, especially when put into such a small environment. Here is a thread that I tend to suggest reading over as far as fish selection.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

You might want to think about switching the fish out for some kind of goby. It would be much happier in a tank of that size and there are a lot of cool looking gobies to choose from. Just thinking about the fish here fwiw. If you choose to rehome the fish, call around to the local fish stores around you. One of them will probably give you store credit for the clown and damsel to go towards a goby.

As for the powerhead, it is probably not necessary for that size of a tank. If you decide in the future that you want more flow, you could always upgrade the pump driving the return.

Good luck!

Anemones tend to be high skill unless you got a rock anemone or a Maxi Mini. Most of them do require high light and mixed flow.

Hi I got a white bubble tip anemone. Might buy a small powerhead for it though?

Not trying to bite your head off, but just give you a word of caution. Those fish are going to be very cramped in a 13 liter tank. I wouldn't suggest doing any more than 1 fish, and neither of the ones you listed would be a fish I would suggest. Also, the damsel tends to be somewhat aggressive, especially when put into such a small environment. Here is a thread that I tend to suggest reading over as far as fish selection.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

You might want to think about switching the fish out for some kind of goby. It would be much happier in a tank of that size and there are a lot of cool looking gobies to choose from. Just thinking about the fish here fwiw. If you choose to rehome the fish, call around to the local fish stores around you. One of them will probably give you store credit for the clown and damsel to go towards a goby.

As for the powerhead, it is probably not necessary for that size of a tank. If you decide in the future that you want more flow, you could always upgrade the pump driving the return.

Good luck!

Hi, Iam in the middle of building my own 15 gallon tank so as soon as its finished then I will transfer my fish to that tank. Thanks for your help and I might upgrade the stock pump or just buy another powerhead.

Cheers

Jay

Since the tank is only 3.43 Gallons and the returnpump pumps around 52.83 GPH you should be fine without a powerhead for some zoas and softies. I dont see a powerhead as a requirement unless you get some high flow demanding corals in this case.

Should you desire one, the powerhead of choice seems to be a second PH-200 positioned in the display.

i would definately move that nem to a bigger tank with those fish. Bubble tips can take quite a bit of abuse but the param swings of such a small tank are most likely too much.

Since the tank is only 3.43 Gallons and the returnpump pumps around 52.83 GPH you should be fine without a powerhead for some zoas and softies. I dont see a powerhead as a requirement unless you get some high flow demanding corals in this case.

Should you desire one, the powerhead of choice seems to be a second PH-200 positioned in the display.

i would definately move that nem to a bigger tank with those fish. Bubble tips can take quite a bit of abuse but the param swings of such a small tank are most likely too much.

Got a power head as it was really cheap and it helps circulate the water more. I returned my clown to the lfs as he was getting way too big.

Hi I got a white bubble tip anemone. Might buy a small powerhead for it though?

Hi, Iam in the middle of building my own 15 gallon tank so as soon as its finished then I will transfer my fish to that tank. Thanks for your help and I might upgrade the stock pump or just buy another powerhead.

Cheers

Jay

Umm a white bubble tip usually means bad...you have to feed it cuz all the natural photo feeders left it

Archived