ReefCleaners.org

First clam, having one issue

hey

So, I broke down and ordered a clam, it has opened up but only half of it is open, the other half looks to be gaping? (no extension at all, maybe PM?) It was floated 30 mins then drip acclimated 1 hr, reacts fine to light.

Should I just FW dip this guy tomorrow (can't tonight don't have any dechlor on hand.) or give it a few days as it has only been in the tank for about 30 hours.

Picture=1000 words

clam, half open and happy other half not happy, there is nothing that screams pm because its not extending at all on that half.

I don't feel like getting the cam out of the car and fighting to get a crap pic of it because I only have 70mm max telephoto right now. I suspect PM, I know what PM looks like.

I guess I am asking should I wait longer before the dip because the clam is new or just go ahead and do it asap.

By half, you mean one mantle is retracted and the other is extended?

Is it a flow issue? Is there a coral or macro or vermitid or something near it that could be bothering it on that side?

It's also possible that one mantle got a minor injury in transport.. I had a clam that fell and one side didn't open for a while.

By half, you mean one mantle is retracted and the other is extended?

Is it a flow issue? Is there a coral or macro or vermitid or something near it that could be bothering it on that side?

It's also possible that one mantle got a minor injury in transport.. I had a clam that fell and one side didn't open for a while.

naw i mean half the other way sorry, both mantles are extending but only half of them are extending, on the same side, very PM-esque similar to the PM pic of the gigas in the PM sticky.

Don't freshwater dip. I picked up a small 2" maxima and its mantle was much like yours. Give it time, and make sure nothing is nipping at it. I posted my new clam on my tank link, if you look at its mantle you will see I was in the same boat. Check the hole you should see what looks like frilly finger looking things that when healthy will look like "eye lashes" touching. If the hole does not have them than it is gaping and under stress. Lighting and flow may be upsetting it. They don't like to be blasted by heavy flow. Depending on where you got the clam lighting could have been less or more and that can issues as well. That didn't look like pinched mantle. Put it in the sand. I apologize in advance for grammar stupid I phone update is horrible.

I will keep an eye on it, I havn't checked for attachment yet either so hopefully tomorrow it will be happier. I did notice today it had extended more than the previous but still doing that half and half thing. Thanks for the help thus far, I would prefer it not be PM obviously.

I will keep an eye on it, I havn't checked for attachment yet either so hopefully tomorrow it will be happier. I did notice today it had extended more than the previous but still doing that half and half thing. Thanks for the help thus far, I would prefer it not be PM obviously.

tomarrow when the lights go out watch the mantle, zeph says that the edges will curl rather than retract, if its pinched mantle

How upward facing is it in the pic it looks perhaps like the bottom portion isn't getting much light and is therefore retracted

How upward facing is it in the pic it looks perhaps like the bottom portion isn't getting much light and is therefore retracted

it's 100% upright the weird haze on the bottom of the pic is reflection of the t5's while trying to get a top down. Still no change, retracts to shadows still very quickly. Nothing is trying to eat it out of my large cuc so thats a +.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a clam from Unique just over 2 weeks ago. Looks exactly like yours and showed the exact same symptoms.

UEMl2d0.jpg

After 2 weeks of showing no improvement I freshwater dipped it for 30 minutes and changed out my carbon. It is now extended evenly on both sides with no pinching.

it's 100% upright the weird haze on the bottom of the pic is reflection of the t5's while trying to get a top down. Still no change, retracts to shadows still very quickly. Nothing is trying to eat it out of my large cuc so thats a +.

Any updates?

How is it doing?

Unique is an awesome company and I love everything about them, but those clams are ORA. Everyone of them that I bought had issues like this and eventually died (including the two I got from Unique). Some lasted weeks, some lasted months, but they suffered the same unfortunate fate.

Unique is an awesome company and I love everything about them, but those clams are ORA. Everyone of them that I bought had issues like this and eventually died (including the two I got from Unique). Some lasted weeks, some lasted months, but they suffered the same unfortunate fate.

Couldn't agree more. Love unique corals. Never had a ORA clam live, but none ORA are living just fine.

Couldn't agree more. Love unique corals. Never had a ORA clam live, but none ORA are living just fine.

well I hate to say I joined you in this, I let the clam go too long I fear before I dipped it. I even tried a shorted dip of 10 minutes as it really was not looking well. Placed it back in tank as it had closed up during the dip by the 10 minute mark and the nassarius clean up crew jumped all over it. How long would you suggest a clam fallow period before I try another non ORA clam?

Archived