Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Preparing for Tank #2

jgaepi

I checked the Dr Tim's progress tonight. Not what I expected. Today was the first test (day 3) of ammonia and nitrite. I had dosed originally to 3 ppm and used the good bacteria bottle. I was testing for less than .5 ppm of each and I assumed I would be higher on both. Instead I had 0 nitrite and .5 ammonia. Per the instructions I dosed again but I assume it would be premature to have registered so low so fast.

Well I took my skimmer question to a higher level and got some good feedback. I have narrowed it down to the Bubble Magus Curve 5 or a NAC 3.5. I have another month to sort it out, look for deals, or used.

New question is new sand. The only thing not coming with me from Tank 1 is the sand. I bought the basic live sand. But this time I want to give it some thought. There is the Fiji Pink or maybe Bimini Pink or Special Grade, or lots of options. Anyone care to weigh in? (test if people are actually reading my thread).

Well I took my skimmer question to a higher level and got some good feedback. I have narrowed it down to the Bubble Magus Curve 5 or a NAC 3.5. I have another month to sort it out, look for deals, or used.

New question is new sand. The only thing not coming with me from Tank 1 is the sand. I bought the basic live sand. But this time I want to give it some thought. There is the Fiji Pink or maybe Bimini Pink or Special Grade, or lots of options. Anyone care to weigh in? (test if people are actually reading my thread).

I went with 40# Special Grade dry aragonite for my 50g, rinsed it out a few times before putting in the tank. No sand storm so far even when my mp10 blows on top of it, it would move the sand but no sand storm ever which is the reason I went with it.

It looked brownish out of the bag, but it is actually more white than anything once it is wet. I have the "live" special grade for my biocube as well, more expensive because it is live but just as good.

Yep, that's what I used for my 14g biocube. One thing I did notice with special grade sand is that my goby wasn't able to shift the sand to go under the rock like it did in my spec V with finer grade sand, but my scape had some good hiding spots for it to be in.

Archived