ReefCleaners.org

White tiny tube worms infestation

MrNanoReef

Anyone know how to stop this? I recently noticed more and more of them stuck to rock and glass and im keep finding myself scraping them off and yet they still manage to attach and thrive again. I'm wondering if they will die out eventually or not.

Sounds like spirorbid worms.. They're harmless though unsightly.. They'll spread like crazy for a while then after a while they'll die back to fewer numbers.. The only thing you can really do is scrape the glass where you don't want them.

Do you have some pictures

not really but these are very common in a reef tank, tiny white circular shape tube worms.

Sounds like spirorbid worms.. They're harmless though unsightly.. They'll spread like crazy for a while then after a while they'll die back to fewer numbers.. The only thing you can really do is scrape the glass where you don't want them.

I know they're common and harmless but sore eyes for sure. I'll keep scraping the glass then, eventually I'm gonna have some corals encrust on the back glass and hopefully that only leaves the sides to scrape.

Are the ones on the glass actually deploying fans? Like fan works? Or are they just making tiny spirals on the glass

They are just tiny spirals on glass and rocks as well

I know they're common and harmless but sore eyes for sure. I'll keep scraping the glass then, eventually I'm gonna have some corals encrust on the back glass and hopefully that only leaves the sides to scrape.

yeah, on both my current tank and my previous tank I noticed they grew out of control for a little while, but after a few months there were less and less of them (same with pineapple sponges, bristle worms, etc).. so IME eventually the tank should stabilize and they'll find equilibrium..

yeah, on both my current tank and my previous tank I noticed they grew out of control for a little while, but after a few months there were less and less of them (same with pineapple sponges, bristle worms, etc).. so IME eventually the tank should stabilize and they'll find equilibrium..

Good to know. Thanks everyone :)

Oh god, back before my NC28's front seam split I had these guys littering the entire filtration section in the back. They did keep the tank pretty damn clean, though, props to them.

I get them a lot in my skimmers. Its funny, no matter how hard we work to keep foreign creatures out of our tanks, we always find little critters once its established. I'm pretty sure my whole tank was seeded with copepods from a few hitchhikers on an elegance coral, and now it's exploded with em.

Polarcollision

I've got those all over anything made of black plastic/resin too--skimmer, filter baskets, back wall... Pineapple sponges and a bunch of other tiny things too. Some that landed on the rocks have a hard tube and filter feathers -- they're about 1.5" long anywhere that's shaded. The ones on plastic never grew larger for whatever reason. Everything I've read says these are good for completing an ecosystem and keeping our tanks more stable, which means less work for us. If you can stand them on the back walls and on equipment, maybe let them do their thing?

most likely, like other have said, Spirorbid worm. Its an Annelid -> polychaeta. much like a feather duster. Just means you have nutrients(plankton) in your water and they are there to eat it. If you don't want them, limit nutrients or scrape them off. But i see them as filtration.

Archived