Pod Your Reef

Opinions about RO Buddie

Jbrock183

Hello,

For months I have been carrying buckets to the LFS to get what I thought was RO/DI water. I recently learned that what I am getting is water processed via Cold Sterile Filtration. I've tried to understand the difference but I just don't. Which is better?

I have a 10 gallon nano-reef and was considering buying an RO Buddy.

So basically I have 3 questions.

1. What is the difference between RO/DI water and water obtained through Cold Sterile Filtration?

2. Is RO/Di water better than water filtered through Cold Sterile Filtration?

3. Would an RO Buddie be sufficient for my needs?

Thanks. I need and appreciate your help.

Angel<3Nanos

Save your money and time and buy a spectrapure RODI 90gpd refurbished system.

I bought the RO buddie with the DI resin. Not very pleased. It exhausted the filters waaaay to quick. I did maybe about 200ish gallons and it was done. Had to buy new filters. Ended up buying the spectrapure.

The buddie does produce 0Tds. I guess if you live in an apartment and have a pico tank I would recommend it. It saves space.

But for 10gals or bigger, you'll want to go with something that can produce more water without changing your filters so often.

1. Kold Steril systems are similar to Poly Pads used to remove copper from a reef system. They do not remove all contaminants and will never be 0 TDS which should be your goal.

2. Absolutely. There is no comparison. One filters out a few metals and other contaminants while the other removes everything down to the 0.0001 micron level so you should end up with absolutely pure 18.2 megaohm resistivity water.

3. No. To achieve 0 TDS or anywhere near it you need RO/DI with good prefiltration in the way of low micron, near absolute sediment, particulate and colloidal material removal and carbon filtration using a solid extruded carbon block not granular carbons which have an extremely limited lifespan. The RO buddy will end up costing you more in upgrades and replacements than buying a good system to begin with, even for a small nano reef.

Grab the Spectrapure Refurb RODI and never look back. You can also use it to make your own RO water to drink, just put a 3 way T in between the RO and DI stage.

With a 10g tank, you'll replace the filters probably once per year (less for wear, more for a general maintenance schedule)...super cheap and you have complete control. In a disaster, you can make your water quickly without waiting for the store to open.

You gotta be getting sick of carrying those jugs by now...I attempted it for 2 weeks, then said screw it and spent the $150.

I've already made the money back in the 18 months I've owned it now for my tank.

I have the RO Buddie, with the DI chamber. So far I've been pleased, in about 4 months I've replaced the DI resin once. I get zero TDS off of tap water that starts around 150, so not too terrible to begin with.

Not sure how long it will last, but seems to be doing well. I have a 20 gallon SW and I also make up water for my 60 gallon fresh. Works well.

Archived