Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wish Me Luck.....

basser1

Hey Gang, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, Invertabrates or the Coral sections, so I decided to post here.

Ennywhooo, I was on Divers Den last night, (man that site gets me in more trouble here at home), and I made a purchase of this Christmas Tree Worm Rock. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now and I decided to get one. I know the worms and porites aren't the easiest things to care for, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

Most of the rocks I've seen are a tannish brown color, but this one is a very attractive green with maroon polyps.

Any suggestions is appreciated and here is a pic from the DD web-site:

christmas_tree_worm_rock.jpg

Very cool. If my tank was older I'd totally try to get one. I hope the Christmas tree worms survive. I imagine if you have any worm/invert predators in the tank they wont last long. I imagine keeping something like this is akin to keeping a NPS coral. Probably going to have to feed filter food so the worms keep thriving.

UPDATE:

Well I received my package today from LiveAquaria. I can't say enough good things about their packaging. The rock was triple bagged and was inside a large, insulated, styrofoam box which was placed inside a larger box with tons of foam p'nuts! Also included was acclimation information.

However, all I did was float the bag for 15 minutes for temp. purposes and placed the rock in the tank, on the bottom. Within 5 minutes the rock was covered in Christmas tree worms and the porite rock itself had got some of its' color back (the dark green base and the maroon polyps). The rock itself is about 4" in size. The worms are a variety of colors, mostly blues, purple, orange, brown and tan. I plan on feeding them tonight after the lights go off. So far, off to a good start and I'm a happy customer!

I'll try and post some pics soon.

UPDATE:

Well I received my package today from LiveAquaria. I can't say enough good things about their packaging. The rock was triple bagged and was inside a large, insulated, styrofoam box which was placed inside a larger box with tons of foam p'nuts! Also included was acclimation information.

However, all I did was float the bag for 15 minutes for temp. purposes and placed the rock in the tank, on the bottom. Within 5 minutes the rock was covered in Christmas tree worms and the porite rock itself had got some of its' color back (the dark green base and the maroon polyps). The rock itself is about 4" in size. The worms are a variety of colors, mostly blues, purple, orange, brown and tan. I plan on feeding them tonight after the lights go off. So far, off to a good start and I'm a happy customer!

I'll try and post some pics soon.

Basser you still have the biocube your thread has no updates? How old is that thing now about 7 years old? We need some new pictures my friend.

Basser you still have the biocube your thread has no updates? How old is that thing now about 7 years old? We need some new pictures my friend.

Yes I do! I just had Dave re-do the hood with his new LEDs and controller.

I think I'm goin' for a record of having the oldest continuous running Bio-Cube!!

O.K. Gang.....

Here are a couple of pics that show the christmas tree worm rock I got from Divers Den last week. Man this rock is teeming with worms! I'm hoping to keep them going and (hopefully), growing for a while.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Tidal Gardens just posted a youtube video on porites and how to care for them. You might want to check it out.

Thanks, Will do!!

UPDATE:

Just thought I'd include the youtube video from tidalgardens...... awesome video.

Thanks Again......

O.K. Gang.....

Here are a couple of pics that show the christmas tree worm rock I got from Divers Den last week. Man this rock is teeming with worms! I'm hoping to keep them going and (hopefully), growing for a while.

006.jpg

007.jpg

Hey Gang......

O.K., the worms and the coral/rock are doing really well. I've been feeding them Algagen Reefpods. And soon I will feed them some keydivers' copepods.

So this afternoon, I'm looking at the tank and I hear a "snapping" noise coming from the tank. I normally don't pay too much attention to it because I have some hermits and sometimes I hear their shells hitting the glass as they crawl around. But this was going on for a while so I started to investigate further. What I saw was something flashing part of the way out of the rock. If you will look at the pics, you'll see a hole in the top part of the rock and this is where I would see the flash of something along with the snapping noise. I have a starcki damsel and it would hover over the rock and this is when I would see something and hear the snapping sound. Whatever it is, it is lightning quick!!

I suspect it may be a small pistol shrimp that hitchhiked in the rock. Having not owned one before, can anyone give me any info on them? Are they reef-safe?? Is there some symbiotic relationship between it and the coral and or worms?

Thanks.......

Snapping shrimp are definitely reef safe. I have one paired with a yellow watchman goby. It's a fun symbiotic relationship to watch. The goby plays bodyguard for the shrimp while he digs the burrow for the both of them. My pair have a mansion going on underneath my rock work. They can go in their tunnel on one side of the scape and come out a few seconds later on the opposite side.

Also love the worm rock! So pretty and unique.

Snapping shrimp are definitely reef safe. I have one paired with a yellow watchman goby. It's a fun symbiotic relationship to watch. The goby plays bodyguard for the shrimp while he digs the burrow for the both of them. My pair have a mansion going on underneath my rock work. They can go in their tunnel on one side of the scape and come out a few seconds later on the opposite side.

Also love the worm rock! So pretty and unique.

Are the shrimps picky as to what they eat??

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd bump this and let everyone know the Christnas Tree worm rock is still alive and kickin'!!

I must be doin' something right!

Just thought I'd bump this and let everyone know the Christnas Tree worm rock is still alive and kickin'!!

I must be doin' something right!

Start a tank thread old man ;).

Hey Gang, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, Invertabrates or the Coral sections, so I decided to post here.

Ennywhooo, I was on Divers Den last night, (man that site gets me in more trouble here at home), and I made a purchase of this Christmas Tree Worm Rock. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now and I decided to get one. I know the worms and porites aren't the easiest things to care for, but I think I'm up to the challenge.

Most of the rocks I've seen are a tannish brown color, but this one is a very attractive green with maroon polyps.

Any suggestions is appreciated and here is a pic from the DD web-site:

christmas_tree_worm_rock.jpg

I had porites very similar to this, but very fuzzy and it was very easy to keep! I sent it to Lawn actually :) I think it will thrive in your tank! I don't have any experience with christmas tree worms though! I can't wait to see photos of them out!

.... and I just realized this is super old :lol:

Archived