ReefCleaners.org

Bubble Algae......!?

Travis

So I'm getting a huge growth in bubble algae since starting to feed reef roids to the corals.

As you can see, the acan is loving the reef roids but so is the bubble algae....

c4d39964bd79e9858f874f0e1df1d6af.jpg

What is the best way to get rid of bubble algae????

89761112643856b2ef1106c2e1cf9d1a.jpg

Will the bubble algae pose any danger to my corals???

very carefully! dont pop it if you do manual removal

also ive heard that emerald crabs eat it but, i havent had much luck w/ them eating mine

*edit* just pull the acan frag out & remove it by hand, rinse it in a bucket of saltwater before putting it back

I've got so much bubble algae it looks like the rocks. :D

I discovered the usefulness of a cheap Walgreens dental kit. Two metal teeth picks and a useless mirror. The picks work great at getting to the base of the bubbles.

Once it is in your tank it will more than likely always be there regardless of how studious you may have been in removing it. When you see it just pluck and repeat..

• 2 weeks later...
the emerald crabs can also spread the issue as they pop the bubbles as they consume them.. double edge sword
I agree people always say don't pop it or get a emerald. What do they think a emerald crab eats them without popping :wacko:
SouthFlorida_Tron

Any updates on the progress for the removal of the bubble algae? I tried the rock scrape and rinse method and it kept coming back... over, and over, and more, and more, and more.......

Its forced me to literally stop caring for the tank... i just make sure the fish are fed and the ATO and 2 parts are filled....

I think they are kinda pretty.

/shrug

Get a cordless Dremel. Nylon brush wheel head. Take out rock. Buzz it off at 10,000 RPMs. Rinse. Repeat.

What do you do when it's severely covering sunny ds, blue hornets, and pink zippers lol

take chances with a female emerald crab? not fast by any means but they are hard working critters

Not destructive towards coral or fish?

the females I have read tend to be less likely to go ham on your stuff, but you run the risk of it by adding one. I like mine though no issues to report in the past few months.

Tank is looking good. Just stay on top of them from here. I am sure they will pop up from time to time. Just make sure you remove them each time to keep them from showing up everywhere again...

Archived