SaltCritters.com

Update on my 90 gallon in wall tank along with some concerns/issues

dshan37

What's going on everyone, my last post was when I was just starting up with my tank and here's a little update since.I have been closely following a lot of tanks and issues/concerns that everyone has been experiencing and have tried to avoid some but not all with my own tank. This is the first tank I've ever owned and 6 months ago I knew nothing about the hobby.

I wanted a tank but did not want it to take up any noticeable space in my house so I decided to make it an in wall tank. This is why I had to start with saltwater because I was not planning on changing this whole tank again. The Tank specs are as follows (just incase some didn't see my first post) :

90 Gallon Display
30 Gallon Sump
( the first two things I started with)

After doing further research I decided on the equipment I would need:

Ecotech MP40 powerhead
Reef Octopus 2000int in sump Skimmer
Reef Breeders LED 48inch
AutoAqua Smart ATO
BRS 4 Stage RO/DI unit
Mag-Drive 12 return pump
Fluval Canister ( I use it to run chemi pure)

100lbs of live rock

As of right now the tank is 6 months old.Just as some background information, I majored in Biology and minored in Chemistry in college so a lot of this wasn't a different language to me.

My water level readings are as follows:

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
pH: 8.4
NH3: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Calc: 420 ppm
Mag: 1250 ppm

Some of my concerns is that 1. I never see a spike in Nitrates, I've gone 3 weeks without a water change and no sign of Nitrates and I've done the test multiple times and followed directions very closely. I have been using the API test kit.

Could it be that my tank is understocked and over filtered?

My Stock is as follows:

1 yellow belly blue hippo tang
1 Flame Angel
1 Banggai Cardinal
1 Yellow tang
1 Clown

1 cleaner shrimp

1 anemone
1 Torch coral
1 Hammer coral
1 Bubble coral
1 Gonioporia

Secondly, My corals don't see to be doing that well, my torch coral barely opens up but my hammer coral is doing ok. My anemone closed up during the recent water change but is slowly opening back up. The rest of the corals don't see to be doing that well. I have not provided any supplemental feedings to any except the anemone and I am using RED SEA SALT CORAL PRO.

My fish on the other hand are doing well and love to eat.

Any suggestions to how I can fix this problem? And is the consistent 0 nitrate reading a problem? Below are some pictures of my tank.

FullSizeRender-15.jpg

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_0557.jpg

FullSizeRender-18.jpg

Is your sump in your laundry room? Some times chemicals can get airborne and is sucked into the skimmer causing problems.

What test kit are you using I know with api you have to shake the bottles to make sure they are well mixed. I found ammonia and nitrate the worst for that.

If your lps like your hammer and torch aren't opening up check your flow to much or not enough will effect them. Once they are happy with that and the light they will start opening regular.

Archived